Immigration Question

  1. Hallo Everyone!

    I am just writing to see if anyone can give me any advice, or if anyone has been in a similar situation to me.

    I'll try and keep this as short as possible!

    I am an international student here on a F1 student visa (I am from England). I start the nursing program in August and obviously want to be able to work in my local hospital as a CNA during my training, to get good hands-on experience. Obviously we will be doing clinicals, but I would also like to be able to work during the holidays etc.

    As an international student, I am not permitted a work permit, although I hope this should change due to my eventual career being a nurse!!

    I want to be able to stay in the US once I graduate, and be able to work here.

    Has anyone any experience of this? or been through the same situation?

    I am coming up against a lot of "I don't knows" from my college and my local (small) hospital............. I think the hospital needs to sponsor me INS-wise.

    I would be so grateful of any input!!

    Thank you!!
  2. Visit sashibeak profile page

    About sashibeak

    Joined: Aug '02; Posts: 89
    Mother/Baby & Nursery RN
    Specialty: 1 year(s) of experience in OB/GYN


  3. by   teeituptom
    I dont know either
  4. by   Talino
    Like you said, with the F1 student visa, you are not permitted to work. Hence as long as you're still a student you shouldn't work. Otherwise you'll be in violation of your current visa and may have that privilege revoked.

    .... but of course, there are employers out there who employ "off the books", but not specifically what you want. :spin:

    When you're finished with school pass the NCLEX. INS may require you to exit the USA and apply for an H1 visa (for employment) or it could be arranged that an H1 visa be prepared while you're here provided a US employer has given you an offer of employment.

    Good luck!
  5. by   SirJohnny

    - When I was puruing my graduate degree, I thought the foreign students were allowed to work "through the college".

    - If I remember correctly, we had several students from Turkey who were able to work on projects/internships provided they were done through the school.

    - One project that I was part of was for Osh-Kosh Children's Clothing (we were doing a Java software project fo them). There were several foreign visa students and myself working on the project.

    - One benefit for me -- it was considered a "research" project by the state of Pennsyvlania -- so no Pennsylvania state income tax.


    - I would talk to the school about this. See if they know anything about it. Also, if there is a college nearby -- see if you can talk to some foreign students and see what the story is regarding visa & work.

    - Most major universities have a a department setup strictly for helping foreign students. Perhaps you could ask there. Then take that information to your nursing school and see if they can help you.


    - It would not hurt to ask.

    - Good luck.

    John Coxey
  6. by   sashibeak
    Thank you, John and Talino.

    I appreciate your advice and fast responses.

    I think I may eventually have to contact an immigration lawyer about this. I am secured a job once I have graduated from my local hospital. They have also awarded me a scholarship for the entire nurses program.

    Thanks for your good luck wishes!