Quote from ltg623
I am writing a research paper for my BSN completion program regarding the amount of time spent documenting vs. the amount of time spent caring for patients. PLEASE help !!!! I am interested in the opinions of all nurses.
1. How long have you been a nurse???
2. What department or unit do currently work in???
3. Do you feel the amount of documentation that is required takes away from your patient care time???
4. How much time per shift do you spend documenting????
5. Do you use any type of computerized documentation and if so does it allow for more patient time???
1. I have been in nursing for 42 years, first 5 as a Psych Tech in Calif, rest as RN
2. Forensic psych, mental health
3. Absolutely. I sometimes wonder when I'm supposed to be with the patients, so I'll have something to chart.
4. At least 3 hours, more if there is an incident or admission.
5. No, but I have no hope that it will make much difference. It may be worse, as I can write faster than I can type.