I would like to one day write a book about nurses who lose (or keep) their licenses.

Nurses General Nursing

Published

It would condense thousands of actual cases and attempt to pinpoint the precise issues involved in the individual cases as well as look into the due process accorded during the BON proceedings. Furthermore, it would outline specific strategies that nurses could follow to give themselves the best chance of not being in a position to lose their license themselves (or if they were in such a position strategies which would give them the best chance of gaining an optimal outcome). Undoubtably, certain procedures, floors and situations are correlated with a higher than average chance of having a BON issue. Hopefully, it could lead to an organization which advocated for nurses (using the expert knowledge gained from detailed investigation) to ensure that licenses were not revoked for spurious, or political reasons. I have long thought about this however the thread by LisabearRN below has crystallized my thinking on this issue. I have contacted my local BON about reviewing specific cases several times, but have yet to be advised as to the procedure that one must follow in order to review specific, case histories. Has anyone out there ever conducted this sort of research? If so how did you go about gaining access to these records?

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Good luck.

I would read it

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

My brother-in-law did similar research on school teachers as his doctoral dissertation. That's the best way to go about it -- as a legitimate, academic research project. That way, both you and the state board will have the security of knowing that all of the proper procedures have been followed for ethical behavior in research, the research methods are sound, the proper procedures for data collection and analysis are being followed, etc.

If you want to do research, then get educated in research methodology and procedures. Get the proper credentials to be conducting that type of research. etc. etc. How to do research is one of the big things people are supposed to learn in graduate school. Assuring that people having access to data (particularly sensitive data) know how to handle it properly is why there are such things as IRB's, research committees, etc. that set standards and review research projects for their merit.

Your topic of interest is a legitimate one -- but because of its sensitive nature, it would be difficult to accomplish without the support of recognized research experts and/or obtaining research expertise yourself. If you're interested in becoming a researcher, why not go to graduate school and become one?

llg

Specializes in ORTHOPAEDICS-CERTIFIED SINCE 89.

I agree with llg. This would be a huge undertaking. I fear that it would be sensationalism as in the "unauthorized biography" or tabloid type paper realm, rather than helpful.

Absolute pure research would be the only way to go about it and that would require expert advice and opinion.

I'm not really interested in becoming a "researcher" per se and would actually prefer that someone else undertake this task. On the other hand, I feel that this is an issue that needs to be explored because it potentially affects the lives of every nurse (indeed the issue is relevent to all of those who hold licenses and are answerable to elected or unelected boards). As to access it is my opinion that these cases like "court cases" are public records and should therefore be open access to anyone. Only, this week someone I know was accused of making a documentation error in a home health situation, that they are certain they didn't make (although their license is probably not in jeopardy). I pride myself as being reasonably paranoid (just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you) and it is my thesis that there are many, many examples of nurses losing or having their licenses suspended for less than "just" reasons. Indeed, I believe that this (the bringing of spurious, false, and or politically motivated allegations) is used as a weapon of control against nurses by certain interests.

'Indeed, I believe that this (the bringing of spurious, false, and or politically motivated allegations) is used as a weapon of control against nurses by certain interests.'

I certainly have seen evidence of this over my long nursing career. Unfortunately it is hard to prove for many reasons including our environment of practice. :(

+ Add a Comment