Questions from an aspiring CNM

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

I've always had a passion for women's health, especially with issues surrounding pregnancy and birth. I am on my fourth pregnancy and all of my previous deliveries were with midwives. They were fabulous experiences where my autonomy was respected and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am just now doing pre-reqs for nursing. My vision is that I will finish up my B.S.N in three years (including next year's pre-reqs), try to get a job on an L & D floor, work for a year and then go back to school to become a CNM or perhaps a nurse practitioner specializing in women's health. My question is about the inbetween period. Is it possible for me to go directly from a B.S.N program into a CNM one with no nursing experience outside of school, and work on my CNM while I am working as a nurse?

I am also interested in doing more than prenatal care and delivering babies. I know that an increasing number of direct entry midwives offer well woman care. Is that something that I could do as a CNM? Are there any CNM's here who practice on their own or do homebirths?

Thank You

You will be much further ahead by getting experience in Labor and Deleivery before even considering going on for the CNM. There is so much information that you need to learn, and as we have stated before, your learning curve will not begin until you actually begin your first job as an RN. Nursing school only gives you the basics.

Take time to smell the roses................ :)

I just completed a nurse midwifery program last month. I went to school with a variety of people, all ages, different experience levels. One girl is having a difficult time getting interviews because she really has almost no labor and delivery experience. The school told her that experience didn't matter, because she wasn't learning how to be a labor nurse, but a midwife. However when the docs and other midwives look at your resume, they will look at how much of your career was spent as a labor nurse. One doctors group told her to get a job as a labor nurse for 2 years then come back for an interview!

Another girl who graduated from a different program is working as a labor and delivery nurse for the same reason; her school told her essentially the same thing (she has oodles of NICU and NBN experience, by the way). But your backup doc has to be confident in your skills... and for a lot of them, that equates to years of experience.

So the schools will educate you, but they don't guarantee you a job.

Have you thought about getting an ADN and doing an RN to Master's program? That will speed up things a bit, and now that so many programs are online you can work a little while you are in school.

I just completed a nurse midwifery program last month. I went to school with a variety of people, all ages, different experience levels. One girl is having a difficult time getting interviews because she really has almost no labor and delivery experience. The school told her that experience didn't matter, because she wasn't learning how to be a labor nurse, but a midwife. However when the docs and other midwives look at your resume, they will look at how much of your career was spent as a labor nurse. One doctors group told her to get a job as a labor nurse for 2 years then come back for an interview!

Another girl who graduated from a different program is working as a labor and delivery nurse for the same reason; her school told her essentially the same thing (she has oodles of NICU and NBN experience, by the way). But your backup doc has to be confident in your skills... and for a lot of them, that equates to years of experience.

So the schools will educate you, but they don't guarantee you a job.

Have you thought about getting an ADN and doing an RN to Master's program? That will speed up things a bit, and now that so many programs are online you can work a little while you are in school.

I didn't know it was possible to do an RN to a Master's program. Thank you for the info. Unfortunately Im in a bit of a rush though and I will need that BSN. We are moving to a foreign country in desperate need of midwives (I've already been offered a job) almost as soon as I finish school. I may try getting some experience working with a homebirth midwife. I am also interested in learning that model of care as well, since it is what initially attracted me to midwifery. I've known one or two CNMs to work with DEMs in that way. I will go ahead and try to work in L & D. The future is so unpredictable though, who knows what will happen. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Well, In other countries, esp ones desperate for midwives, you will likely find an opportunity for internship and later employment. I know a direct-entry midwife practicing on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. She is very happy and has no intention of leaving the island or her practice. She loves the people and truly finds fulfillment and joy in her career there. We all should be able to say that......

Truly, I hope you achieve your dream! Go for it.

I'm also a CNM wannabe. I was recently admitted to a combined rn-msn program. In my particular program you complete a pre-RN portion in 15 months. Once you pass the N-CLEX you can begin working and are automatically admitted to the Master's program (all students have a BA or BS in another field prior to beginning). You can take a minimum of three years and a max of (I think) eight to complete your master's, but a minimum of two years of work in the Master's field is required.

A lot of people don't like these programs because they feel you will have less experience. Most traditional master's programs will admit students with one or two years in the field. If I am not comfortable as a CNM upon completing my Master's I plan to continue working as a L & D nurse until I am. I plan to take the four year program to complete my Master's.

If you want to research these programs they are called "bridge," "graduate entry," or "entry to practice." Good luck.

I've always had a passion for women's health, especially with issues surrounding pregnancy and birth. I am on my fourth pregnancy and all of my previous deliveries were with midwives. They were fabulous experiences where my autonomy was respected and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am just now doing pre-reqs for nursing. My vision is that I will finish up my B.S.N in three years (including next year's pre-reqs), try to get a job on an L & D floor, work for a year and then go back to school to become a CNM or perhaps a nurse practitioner specializing in women's health. My question is about the inbetween period. Is it possible for me to go directly from a B.S.N program into a CNM one with no nursing experience outside of school, and work on my CNM while I am working as a nurse?

I am also interested in doing more than prenatal care and delivering babies. I know that an increasing number of direct entry midwives offer well woman care. Is that something that I could do as a CNM? Are there any CNM's here who practice on their own or do homebirths?

Thank You

I'm also a CNM wannabe. I was recently admitted to a combined rn-msn program. In my particular program you complete a pre-RN portion in 15 months. Once you pass the N-CLEX you can begin working and are automatically admitted to the Master's program (all students have a BA or BS in another field prior to beginning). You can take a minimum of three years and a max of (I think) eight to complete your master's, but a minimum of two years of work in the Master's field is required.

A lot of people don't like these programs because they feel you will have less experience. Most traditional master's programs will admit students with one or two years in the field. If I am not comfortable as a CNM upon completing my Master's I plan to continue working as a L & D nurse until I am. I plan to take the four year program to complete my Master's.

If you want to research these programs they are called "bridge," "graduate entry," or "entry to practice." Good luck.

Thank you so much. I'll get right on that research.

Specializes in Nurse Manager, Labor and Delivery.

Have you considered womens health nurse practitioner? Especially if you are more interested in prenatal stuff than deliveries. Just a thought.

Have you considered womens health nurse practitioner? Especially if you are more interested in prenatal stuff than deliveries. Just a thought.

I am *very* interested in deliveries. I am interested in the entire spectrum of women's health, but reproduction and pregnancy/childbirth are of particular interest to me. I have thought of becoming a women's health practioner as well as a CNM so that I can offer more services. I am hoping to focus on underserved populations. If we stay in the U.S. I'd like to work in a clinic. At any rate I am just realizing that the options are much more diverse than I realized. I have a lot more research to do. I really appreciate your responses.

Specializes in OB, lactation.
I am *very* interested in deliveries. I am interested in the entire spectrum of women's health, but reproduction and pregnancy/childbirth are of particular interest to me. I have thought of becoming a women's health practioner as well as a CNM so that I can offer more services. I am hoping to focus on underserved populations. If we stay in the U.S. I'd like to work in a clinic. At any rate I am just realizing that the options are much more diverse than I realized. I have a lot more research to do. I really appreciate your responses.

I think the scope of practice of a CNM encompasses what WHNP's do plus prenatal care/delivering babies. I know that CNM's do well women care, PAP's, family planning, etc. Someone please correct me if there are things that WHNP's do that CNM's don't. WHNP's don't usually have as long of hours because they aren't taking call for delivering babies at 2am :)

If you haven't already, look around at ACNM: http://www.acnm.org

I think the scope of practice of a CNM encompasses what WHNP's do plus prenatal care/delivering babies. I know that CNM's do well women care, PAP's, family planning, etc. Someone please correct me if there are things that WHNP's do that CNM's don't.

You're right. :) I see my CNM for all of my Women's health needs, Paps, prenatals, labor, delivery, birth control..........

One thing to consider: L&D nurses do shift work, midwives have a practice. If you are a mother of four young children, you could find child care a challenge when you are on call for deliveries 24/7. I have often considered midwifery, but the liability, overhead, hours of practice all turned me away from it while I am raising my children. Maybe someday, but for now it is nice to go to work for 8 hours, care for women giving birth, and leave work at work when I go home. I don't want anything to demand too much time and attention right now as I love raising my kids. They won't always be here, and by the time they leave, I'll have the years of experience to branch further into a career.

+ Add a Comment