acidious vs alkalosis (forgive the spelling)

Nurses General Nursing

Published

can someone please put this all in basic terminology?? 3 years into the program acidious and alkalosis still confuses me. what is the deal???? instead of a profession definition i would like "dummy verison please" :)

Hmmmmmmmm. I can sometimes be good at dummy versions and other times i end up looking stupid:) Normal body ph is 7.35 to 7.45 for preffered human acid / base balance. Your respiratory and renal systems have the greatest effect in maintaining this balance. Anything less than 7.35 is acidosis, anything greater than 7.45 is alkalosis. There is a respiratory acidosis and alkalosis. There is also metabolic acidosis and alkalosis. These acidosis and alkalosis can be compensated and uncompensated. I hope this helps! Im sure someone else will come along and post a link that explains it better! If you have a more specific question you can always p.m me. Hope everyone is haing a great day!

Ok, I will try to give you the least complicated version.

Think about a scale that is from

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Remember that this is your pH scale from Chemistry

On the left side of the scale is your more acidic range

On the right side of the scale is your more basic range.

Example of acidic properties are hydrochloric acid, citrus juices, stomach juices

Examples of basic properties are detergents, ammonia, etc.

In the middle of the scale is your neutral properties. Water is considered perfectly neutral (at least depending on where you live):)

The body strives to maintain neutrality. In attempting to achieve the perfect state of 7.35-7.45pH, the body has developed the acid base system.

So to say that if the body has a lower pH, more basic pH is added to compensate to make it maintain neutrality.

Acidotic is the body in a state of acidosis or too much acid and the pH is less than 7.35

Alkalosis is the body in a state that the body has too much basic properties and the pH is greater than 7.45

HCO3 is your bicarbonate this is your base

CO2 is your carbon dioxide and this is your acid

The important thing to really remember is that the body never overcompensates itself. So if the pH were too acidic, in order to correct it, the pH would never give too much base to make the body alkalotic.

This is a very oversimplified version of the acid-base system, but it is an important thing to know.

Many nurses have problems with Blood gases which is what really this is.

I hope that I have explained this well enough and have not confused you further.

If you really want to know more you can look up, acid/base system, Arterial Blood Gases, or pH in your Chemistry or AP book.

I think you mean "acidosis":)

It's really difficult to make a "dummy" version of the definition. But acidosis is when the body's pH level drops below 7.35

If you want a good book that explains all this I suggest "Fluids & Electrolytes made Incredibly Easy"

Specializes in Critical Care.

Respiratory acidosis - elevated PCO2 due to hypoventilation

Respiratory Alkalosis - low PCO2 due to hyperventilation

Normals: pH 7.35-7.45

PO2 80-100

PCO2 35-45 (respiratory component)

HCO3 22--26 (metabolic component)

BE -2 to +2

O2 Sat >95

pH pCO2 HCO3 Treatment

Resp

Acidosis 45 normal Increase ventilation

Resp

Alkalosis >7.45

mixed

acidosis 45

metabolic

Acidosis

metabolic

Alkalosis >7.45 birn >26 decrease ventilation

Hope this helps, good luck.

Specializes in cardiac ICU.

OK, along these lines I have a dumb question. I understand the whole respiratory/metabolic acidosis/alkalosis phenomenon, but here's my question: pH describes the hydrogen ion concentration, right? Therefore a lower hydrogen ion concentration equals a lower pH, and the patient is said to be acidotic. But...how do we move from hydrogen ion concentration to O2 and CO2? Is something being displaced, or what? I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the reading I've done, but I went right past it. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

OK, along these lines I have a dumb question. I understand the whole respiratory/metabolic acidosis/alkalosis phenomenon, but here's my question: pH describes the hydrogen ion concentration, right? Therefore a lower hydrogen ion concentration equals a lower pH, and the patient is said to be acidotic. But...how do we move from hydrogen ion concentration to O2 and CO2? Is something being displaced, or what? I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the reading I've done, but I went right past it. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but here goes:

The pulmonary membrance is thin enough to allow for diffusion and the exchange of gases between lungs and blood.

I suggest you re-read your book , specifically Pulmonary ventilation, pulmonary circulation, gas transportation and regulation.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but here goes:

The pulmonary membrance is thin enough to allow for diffusion and the exchange of gases between lungs and blood.

I suggest you re-read your book , specifically Pulmonary ventilation, pulmonary circulation, gas transportation and regulation.

UGHH we are studying that now too. The buffer system is what does the displacing... bicarbonate - carbonic acid is the major one.

The equal sign I will use for the arrows going each way... a double plus sign is going to be a plus sign and a single plus sign is for the ion charge and a dash is the negative charge (I hope that isn't too confusing!)

carbonic (H2CO3) (weak acid) dissociates into either hydrogen ion (H+) and bicarbonate ion (HCO3) or water (H20) and carbon dioxide (CO2 which is blown off in the respiratory)

H2CO3 = H+ ++ HCO3- = H20 ++ CO2

Basically (I hope I got this right) the kidneys eliminate either hydrogen or bicarbonate ions to increase or decrease pH. The lungs blow off the carbon dioxide.

I hope I got this right... I copied the formula from the book but tried to put it in a nutshell and remember, I am learning this too!

UGHH we are studying that now too. The buffer system is what does the displacing... bicarbonate - carbonic acid is the major one.

The equal sign I will use for the arrows going each way... a double plus sign is going to be a plus sign and a single plus sign is for the ion charge and a dash is the negative charge (I hope that isn't too confusing!)

carbonic (H2CO3) (weak acid) dissociates into either hydrogen ion (H+) and bicarbonate ion (HCO3) or water (H20) and carbon dioxide (CO2 which is blown off in the respiratory)

H2CO3 = H+ ++ HCO3- = H20 ++ CO2

Basically (I hope I got this right) the kidneys eliminate either hydrogen or bicarbonate ions to increase or decrease pH. The lungs blow off the carbon dioxide.

I hope I got this right... I copied the formula from the book but tried to put it in a nutshell and remember, I am learning this too!

:eek: Oh, duh! How was I never able to put that together before so that I could remember it? :imbar Thank you for your help!
+ Add a Comment