Question after Hepatitis vaccine

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi all. I have a question. A few years ago the office I worked for gave us the Hep B vaccince. I got the 1st 2 and wasn't there to get the third. Can I get the 3rd now or do I have to start the series all over? Again, this was a few years ago since I got the 2nd one. I called that office (who just so happens to not have record I ever even had the 1st 2 there.. AHEM! :rolleyes: ) and they said I could just get the 3rd. Um...in order to get the 3rd I have to have record I had the 1st 2...some people. :uhoh3:

I thought I'd have to begin again. Does anyone know??

Thanks in advance.

This site says that you do not (near the bottom).

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/hepb/qandavax.asp

This site says that you do not (near the bottom).

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/hepb/qandavax.asp

Thank goodness! Now I just need them to find my records and I'll be set. :chuckle

Thanks for the link.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

I thought the way this was handled was to have a Hepatitis B titer and go from there. If the titer level is up, the shots are not needed. If the titer is not high enough it would be in your best interest to go through the series again.

Specializes in Orthopedics/Med-Surg, LDRP.

My school had told us that if we let the 3rd shot lapse significantly we'd have to start the series again because it could not be enough to have the 3rd shot very late to build a good enough immunity.

My school had told us that if we let the 3rd shot lapse significantly we'd have to start the series again because it could not be enough to have the 3rd shot very late to build a good enough immunity.

Well, they found my records and said I did have all 3 shots. Guess I forgot. Whew! Atleast I won't have to pay for the series again.

WTG! Now all you'll need is titers (at least my school required titers after the series).

What a relief!

WTG! Now all you'll need is titers (at least my school required titers after the series).

What a relief!

Er...what titers?? :uhoh21: Oh poo!

Just bloodwork to prove your immunity. For a minute amount of people who have the series, the 3 shots isn't enough for full immunity so they have to have an extra shot or the whole series again. But I guess it's better than actually getting hepatitis. :-(

Just bloodwork to prove your immunity. For a minute amount of people who have the series, the 3 shots isn't enough for full immunity so they have to have an extra shot or the whole series again. But I guess it's better than actually getting hepatitis. :-(

Gimme the titre, I don't want that.

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

After two Hepatitis B vaccine shots my titer indicated that I had built up enough immunity.

After two Hepatitis B vaccine shots my titer indicated that I had built up enough immunity.

So the titer is and immunity indicator? I have no idea what it is. How long does it generally take to get the results back? Anyone?

+ Add a Comment