Calculators???

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and I have gotten so much great info from here. But I had a quick question. At my school, we have to take a dosage calc test once a semester. We have to pass to move on to the next semester. If you fail it three times, you're out of the program. I've heard these are pretty standard, but for ours we are not allowed to use a calculator. So my question is...are you allowed to use a calculator for your tests? Thanks and I hope everyone has a good summer.

:welcome: We usually have a few drug calc tests thrown into each semester. We were allowed to use calculators on each of our tests.

yup we get calculators. i wouldn't say you HAVE to have them, but it will take more time to do them by hand.

Specializes in Ortho/Neuro.

Yes, we use calculators that the school provides prior to the exam (they don't want us programming any of our own with formulas).

Yep, we can use calculators. I agree with shock-me-sane though, really...you don't necessarily need them, since it's not too terribly difficult, but it makes it go much faster!

We could use calculators, but it was really only to check our work, as we had to show in detail all calculations on the test paper. So if it was division or whatever, it had to be shown, step by step. If the steps weren't laid out, it was a wrong answer. The calculators were there for peace of mind only :)

Specializes in NICU, High-Risk L&D, IBCLC.

We also get to use calculators, but only the very inexpensive types that have nothing more than the numbers. This is just the instructor's way of assuring that we are not programming any formulas into the calculator. I agree that the exams can be done without a calculator - it will just take more time. We have exams like yours each semester as well.....25 questions and we must score at least 92% in three chances or less.

+ Add a Comment