Finding a bridge program, urgh!

Nursing Students LPN-RN

Published

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

Ever get the feeling that the reason why they all have slightly different pre-req lists is to make us nuts? Or run up their profits?

OK so we can't even apply until we have completed all their pre-reqs and each program is different. I'm going to have 100 credits without a degree by the time I get accepted into an LPN to ADN bridge program. Don't even get me started on the "in-county" preference in which a 2.0gpa student would have to be accepted before an out of county resident. My grades are beautiful, I'm a motivated student, grumble, grumble, grumble. :wink2:

Specializes in ICU, PICC Nurse, Nursing Supervisor.

funny you should post this I just had a nervous breakdown over this very subject..... I have over 100 credit hours and my local CC just started a LVN to RN program and I have everything you could ask for as far as classes go ....EXCEPT A COMPUTER COURSE!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

funny you should post this I just had a nervous breakdown over this very subject..... I have over 100 credit hours and my local CC just started a LVN to RN program and I have everything you could ask for as far as classes go ....EXCEPT A COMPUTER COURSE!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

One of the out of county schools that I tried to attend had this also but let us opt out by taking a word processing aptitude test for $10 that was super easy. Of course they didn't have room for any out of county residents so it wasn't such a bargain after all.

:mad:

Hey Jules! what county do you live in? I thought most of the CC's accept pre-reqs from other MD schools. I quess I was wrong.

Hey Jules! what county do you live in? I thought most of the CC's accept pre-reqs from other MD schools. I quess I was wrong.

Hi Tara,

You are correct, most of the pre-reqs are transferrable its just that they all want a few different courses. Bear with me because I'm doing this from recent memory but as I recall for example AACC doesn't accept the same CLEP as CCBC for ENG101 so I've done both. CCBC wants speech, AACC wants Chemistry but not speech. BCCC wants Intro to College, Chemistry, a literature elective and the LPN to be working in the field. Talbot wants chemistry, speech and an Arts/Humanities elective, they will take a Growth and Development CLEP but AACC won't. Talbot and AACC give in-county first choice, I'm not sure about BCCC. For the most part they want this stuff completed before they even let you apply so in the end I will have taken several classes that I won't need depending on where I go.

In all fairness if I just picked one school it would be easier but I don't want to take any chances of not getting in and I'm also not interested in waiting years and re-applying at the same school, know what I mean? I'm trying to do this the cheapest and more importantly the quickest way I can. It will work out I'm just really impatient. :wink2:

P.S. So far I think they are all taking the Sociology CLEP, happy days!

I plan on going to BCCC in Catonsville. I think I'm going to try to do most of the pre-reqs online. I don't think I can stand to sit in another classroom right away, however I do enjoy interacting with my teachers. How long do you think it will take to complete my general ed requirements? a year? Anyway get back to me when you can. Thanks;)

Hi Tara,

Do you have any pre-reqs?

Here is a list I pulled from the Balto. City website, and of course they want a Chemistry within the last 5 years. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how many online courses they offer but CCBC and AACC have tons so you could probably do them there and transfer them to BCCC. Definitely inquire which CLEP exams they accept because I've done several that way and for $60 you can't beat it if you test good.

PRE 100 Preparation for Academic Achievement 1

*ENG 101 English Writing 3

*PSY 101 Introductory Psychology 3

*BIO 111 Anatomy and Physiology I 4

*BIO 112 Anatomy and Physiology II 4

*PSY 104 Developmental Psychology 3

*SP 101 Fundamentals of Speech Communication 3

*BIO 212 Microbiology 4

*SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology 4

*MAT 107 Modern Elementary Statistics 3

General Education Requirement 3

(English Literature Elective)

Specializes in floor to ICU.
Ever get the feeling that the reason why they all have slightly different pre-req lists is to make us nuts? Or run up their profits?

OK so we can't even apply until we have completed all their pre-reqs and each program is different. I'm going to have 100 credits without a degree by the time I get accepted into an LPN to ADN bridge program. Don't even get me started on the "in-county" preference in which a 2.0gpa student would have to be accepted before an out of county resident. My grades are beautiful, I'm a motivated student, grumble, grumble, grumble. :wink2:

oh yes, I think it is ALL about money. I'm at the end of pre-reqs. I have everything for one school and am missing ONE class for about 4. Frustrating to say the least. These bridge programs need to be more user-friendly and flexible IMO.

oh yes, I think it is ALL about money. I'm at the end of pre-reqs. I have everything for one school and am missing ONE class for about 4. Frustrating to say the least. These bridge programs need to be more user-friendly and flexible IMO.

User friendly would be a huge improvement! I don't understand why after I have done the 3 full semesters to get my LPN they want me to do a summer long bridge program (7 credits) to join a group of RN students in their second year which is only the start of their third semester??? Hmmm so I have to do 4 semesters to equal 2 of their semesters?

Specializes in burn ICU, SICU, ER, Trauma Rapid Response.

Some of you might find the message I posted on page two of "30 unit option tempting" helpful.

Thanks Jules, very helpful, and I currently don't have any pre-reqs so I'm in for a long road in order to be a RN

+ Add a Comment