LPN to BSN @ Indiana State U...here is the info i got!!!

Nursing Students Indiana (ISU)

Published

Specializes in Home Health, Podiatry, Neurology, Case Mgmt.

**(this is the email i got back from ISU regaurding their LPN to BSN degree, and approved states)***some one may want to sticky this!

Thank you for your interest in Indiana State University's distance programs. The LPN to BSN program is a bachelor degree-completion program via distance learning .

Please visit the College of Nursing web site at http://www.indstate.edu/site/nurs/891.html for further information about the LPN to BSN program.

ISU has an exclusive contract with The College Network so as to provide the study guides for the initial phase of the program. There are three phases to the LPN-BSN Track.

Phase I are Gen Ed requirements that will need to be completed with The College Network or a local college in your area. When acquiring Gen Ed requirements, 50 credit hours need to be at a 300 or 400 level course. Some of these courses are available at ISU. If you have a previous degree, some or all of the credits may transfer into the College of Nursing. After completing Phase I you then apply to ISU http://www.indstate.edu/join_us/admissions.htm. You will then fill out a second application with the College of Nursing http://www.indstate.edu/site/nurs/pdfs/con-admission-application.doc

Enrollment requirements include: (due by Nov 1st for Spring Semester) (due by June 1st for Fall Semester)

Send all the below Supporting Documentation to Kim Cook by FAX or MAIL:

Ø Come in with 2.5 minimal GPA. Maintain a 2.25 GPA throughout your courses.

Ø National Criminal background check. A new and easy service is provided to you by http://www.CertifiedBackground.com Your Package Code is: ND57 Send copy.

Ø Must be licensed as a LPN. Send copy of license with line marked thru.

Ø ISU Health History Form completed then send: http://www.indstate.edu/shc/Health_Record.pdf

Ø Proof of Immunizations (MMR, TB, Hep B, Tet & Dip)

Ø CPR certification card. (Copy Front & Back with signature) Send copy.

Ø Legal Limitations Form completed then send: http://www.indstate.edu/site/nurs/pdfs/eligibility-for-application-for-registered-nurse-licensure-legal-limitations.pdf

Ø LPNs will take the TEAS exam for entrance into the program. This will begin for the Spring 07 Semester. http://www.indstate.edu/site/nurs/3240.html

These entrance copies will be kept in your file at the College of Nursing/Student Affairs Office, 749 Chestnut St., Room 328, Terre Haute, IN 47809. All nursing courses are completed online. Even though the courses are online and self-paced, they are within the traditional Fall and Spring semesters and taught by on-campus faculty members.

Then clinicals will be done in the state where you reside, with a preceptor at a local facility. This link is the FAQ (frequently asked questions) for the delivery of clinical education for the LPN-BS Distance Education Track: http://www.indstate.edu/site/nurs/pdfs/faq-lpn-bs-clinical.pdf

Please take a moment to subscribe to Distance News at help you start and complete your distance courses.

Our LPN-BSN distance education program has been RECOGNIZED or APPROVED in the following states:

Alabama

Colorado

District of Columbia

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois (need to approve each clinical site)

Indiana

Iowa

Kentucky

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Nebraska

New Jersey

New Mexico

North Carolina

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John)

Virginia

Wisconsin

We are continuing to work with the other states in supplying them with the required information for their recognition or approval

If you have further questions, please let us know.

If anyone has any questions, post them here or PM me and i'll send an email to the girl i'm working with on this to be answered, the more questions the better we can get to know the program...i'm confused on a few things still, but i can't think of the questions yet to ask..lol...thanks again!

tasha

hello,

I looked in to Indiana state university, the LPN-BSN program, then I got this info from them. There are about 20 prerec's to do, then all the nursing classes! Some of the prerec's I can see, but History, foreign language, ect!!! It would take me forever to do this program. Plus this would cost at least 30,000

I am leaning toward excelsior, because of less classes, and way cheaper. But I do like the idea of the LPN-BSN program.

Here is part of the letter I got:

Phase I: Completion of general education and cognate courses required for the nursing major through a combination of transfer credit previously awarded from accredited college/universities, courses completed in a traditional classroom setting or online, and/or successful completion of proficiency examinations. Students prepare for these proficiency examinations through The College Network’s study guide program. Credits received from successful completion of the American Council on Education (ACE) approved proficiency examinations are then transferred to Indiana State University.

Enrollment in Indiana State University is not required for completion of Phase I, however, it is required prior to progressing to Phase II. As indicated in the Admission Requirements section, there are ten (10) courses that the student must complete prior to enrolling into the College of Nursing, if credit has not been previously awarded in those subjects.

Anatomy & Physiology (6 credit hours)

Chemistry (4 credit hours)

College Algebra (3 credit hours)

Information Technology (3 credit hours)

Life Span Developmental Psychology (3 credit hours)

Microbiology (3 credit hours)

General Psychology (3 credit hours)

Introduction to Communications (3 credit hours)

Foundations of Sociology (3 credit hours)

Freshman Writing (3 credit hours)

Other general education and cognate courses required for degree completion are:

Advanced Expository Writing (3 credit hours)

Foreign Language (6 credit hours)

Pathophysiology (3 credit hours)

Statistics (3 credit hours)

Physical Education (2 credit hours)

Literary, Artistic and Philosophical Studies (6 credit hours)

Multicultural Diversity – International Cultures (3 credit hours)

Multicultural Studies - U.S. Diversity (3 credit hours)

History (3 credit hours)

Phase II: Lower-level online nursing and Customized Study Material (CSM) courses are completed during Phase II of the program. Acceptance by and enrollment in Indiana State University and the College of Nursing is required prior to registering for the online nursing or CSM courses. Students will be accepted for enrollment into the College of Nursing on a conditional basis, until the successful completion of Nursing 200 and 208. At that time, the student will receive full enrollment status.

Nursing 200/200L: Nursing Assessment of the Adult (3 credit hours)

Nursing 208: Transition for LPN to BSN (3 credit hours)

When completed with a C or better, credit is awarded for:

oNursing 104: Introduction to Nursing (2 credit hours)

oNursing 204: Fundamentals of Nursing Practice, and (5 credit hours)

oNursing 228: Clinical Pharmacology (3 credit hours)

CSM Courses:

oNursing 106: Mental Health Aspects of Nursing (2 credit hours)

oNursing 224: Nursing Care of Adults I (5 credit hours)

oNursing 328: Nursing Care of the Child and Family (4 credit hours)

oNursing 330: Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family (4 credit hours)

Phase III: Once the student has completed all general education, lower-level nursing and CSM courses, the remaining upper-level nursing courses are completed online with Indiana State University.

Nursing 226/226L: Nursing in Mental Illness (3 credit hours)

Nursing 318: Nursing Care of Families in Stress and Crisis (4 credit hours)

Nursing 322: Research/Theoretical Basis for Nursing Practice (3 credit hours)

Nursing 324/324L: Nursing Care of Adults II (5 credit hours)

Nursing 424/424L: Nursing Care of Adults III (5 credit hours)

Nursing 450/450L: Population-Focused Community Health Nursing (6 credit hours)

Nursing 470: Nursing Leadership (3 credit hours)

Nursing 484/484L: Reflective Nursing Practice, and (3 credit hours)

Nursing 486: Professional Nursing Synthesis (3 credit hours)

Customized Study Materials (CSM) for Phase II Nursing Courses

Indiana State University and The College Network have developed a set of four Customized Study Materials (CSMs) that have been integrated into the LPN-BSN curriculum. After completion of each CSM, students will complete a proctored Web-based examination administered by Indiana State University. Each CSM is completed in place of one of four nursing courses:

Nursing 106: Mental Health Aspects of Nursing (2 credit hours no clinical),

Nursing 224: Nursing Care of Adults I (5 credit hours with clinical),

Nursing 328: Nursing Care of the Child and Family (4 credit hours with clinical),

Nursing 330: Nursing Care of Childbearing Families (4 credit hours with clinical).

Should additional clinical experience be needed in one of these areas, prior to the one day clinical test-out, the student should arrange the number of hours needed and a preceptor experience, with the faculty course coordinator prior to the final clinical test-out. These clinical hours will be credited to Nursing 484, which is a self-selected 135 hours of clinical learning experience.

Distance Education Nursing Courses

There are eleven nursing courses, completed online through Indiana State University, required for the program of study. Six of these courses have a required clinical component. The minimum 495 clinical hours required for the program are completed concurrently with theory courses and under the supervision of an approved preceptor in the student’s local area. Contracts are arranged with clinical agencies prior to the start of clinicals. There is a one-to-one ratio of preceptor to student during the clinical learning experience. Clinical hours are required in the following areas:

NURS 200 Nursing Assessment of the Adult involves 45 hours of clinical education in the health assessment of the adult and older adult. The student will use effective communication strategies to provide health promotion, health counseling, and health education to promote wellness in adults.

NURS 226 Nursing in Mental Illness involves 45 hours of clinical education in the inpatient psychiatric nursing care of clients with common acute and chronic mental health disorders.

NURS 324 Nursing Care of Adults II involves 90 hours of clinical education in medical-surgical inpatient care and discharge of clients with common acute and chronic health problems.

NURS 424 Nursing Care of Adults III involves 90 hours of clinical education in medical-surgical inpatient care with clients in acute and intensive care with complex health problems.

NURS 450 Population-Focused Community Health Nursing involves 90 hours of clinical learning experience outside of the online studies in a community agency, such as a local health department, school nurse station, or occupational health-nursing agency. The focus of this course is the professional nurse’s role in working with aggregates in the community. Concepts and principles of public health nursing, wellness, health promotion, and national health objectives are emphasized.

NURS 484 Reflective Nursing Practice involves 135 hours of clinical learning experience. This clinical concentration course provides an opportunity for synthesis and evaluation of professional nursing role behaviors essential to the care of clients experiencing complex health care needs across the lifespan in a variety of settings. Emphasis is placed on refinement of critical thinking and communication skills, refinement of appropriate and effective leadership/managerial skills, and the integration of a range of therapeutic interventions into nursing practice, including those appropriate to individual clients, their families/significant others, and relevant population-based groups. Students will be given the opportunity to become more familiar with hospital nursing as their major focus of the semester. Students may also choose to have some limited experience in non-hospital nursing functions (i.e., home health, public health in a health department, well-baby clinics, or rural health clinics.)

If the student does not have clinical experience in an area listed below, additional clinical experience may be required. Clinical hours completed will be credited to NURS 484, which is a self-selected clinical experience.

NURS 224 Nursing Care of the Adults I involves 90 hours of clinical education in the promotion of optimal health among adults experiencing or recovering from illness. The recipient of care is the young, middle, or older adult in the hospital and other community settings.

NURS 328 Nursing Care of the Child and Family involves 45 hours of clinical education to assist children and their families in the promotion and maintenance of health and the prevention of and/or recovery from illness in the hospital and community setting. The focus of the course is nursing interventions to meet common, well-defined health needs of children in relation to the total environment. The recipient of care is the individual child as a member of a family from infancy through adolescence.

NURS 330 Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family involves 45 hours of clinical education of women and infants during the reproductive life cycle. Clinical experience will provide opportunities to observe and provide professional nursing care in primary, community, and acute health care settings.

If anyone has any questions, post them here or PM me and i'll send an email to the girl i'm working with on this to be answered, the more questions the better we can get to know the program...i'm confused on a few things still, but i can't think of the questions yet to ask..lol...thanks again!

tasha

Hello,

I am in California right now, and have an LVN license. I am thinking of temporarily moving to one of the states where ISU had agreements to do clinicals at.

Once I complete this LVN/LPN-BSN degree, which one can I do?

1) Can I move back to California, and apply to take the California NCLEX?

2) Should I first take the NCLEX in the state where I did my clinicals at, and then later endorse the license to California?

I am hoping I could do option 1 above since it would be quicker to do it that way.

Thanks for the info.

Specializes in Level III cardiac/telemetry.
hello,

I looked in to Indiana state university, the LPN-BSN program, then I got this info from them. There are about 20 prerec's to do, then all the nursing classes! Some of the prerec's I can see, but History, foreign language, ect!!! It would take me forever to do this program. Plus this would cost at least 30,000.

They are the same general ed req's that all the BSN programs will require, although each one usually throws in 1 or 2 that are unique to them. If you do LPN-RN there are a lot less prereq's.

Specializes in Level III cardiac/telemetry.
Hello,

I am in California right now, and have an LVN license. I am thinking of temporarily moving to one of the states where ISU had agreements to do clinicals at.

Once I complete this LVN/LPN-BSN degree, which one can I do?

1) Can I move back to California, and apply to take the California NCLEX?

2) Should I first take the NCLEX in the state where I did my clinicals at, and then later endorse the license to California?

I am hoping I could do option 1 above since it would be quicker to do it that way.

Thanks for the info.

I think you would first have to get a license from another state and maybe work X amount of time. Check with the Cal BoN and find out what it takes to transfer a license from another state. You could probably ask on the California board on here as well.

well i got some information from ISU (their application and what not) and they highly recommend going thru college network, so i guess we shall see...still have 6 mo before i gradute with my LPN and then i need to make a decision, ISU or EC...hmmmm

hi, i just entered lpn school (2nd career) but i'm already looking into going further and wonder just exactly what it means that the ISU program has been recognized/approved by partcular states. if a state is not on the list, does it mean that you could not take the NCLEX RN in that state based on your diploma from the school? could you get licensed in a state that is on the list and then transfer your license to another state or just test there? is there any national accrediting agency for nurses that would confer a license to practice that would be accepted in every state? thanx

Specializes in Geriatrics, Hospice.

has anyone actually signed up yet?? I signed the papers today and was wondering if anyone else was taking the plunge. I have a friend of a friend that likes it alot and is about 4 months?? along more or less and says that the tests are clicking by (probobly not for me) susyn153:nurse:

Specializes in ICU, PICC Nurse, Nursing Supervisor.

This makes me madder than an old wet hen. I almost did this program and went to talk with the college network. I did not see Texas on this list of states that approve this program. and the college network was all over Texas signing people up..... I hope this is a mistake because this program is expensive (if u use college network) and people are just waisting time

Specializes in Geriatrics, Hospice.

before you get madder than a wet hen. Ask TCN or ISU about what states that have licences with Texas that accept the ISU credit. In other words if you can apply for a reciprocal licence with Louisianna and Louisianna accepts the ISU Program, then you go to Louisianna for your NCLEX and then simply apply to Texas for your licensure. I don't know if they do or not. but most border states accept the licence of another state with no problems and few exceptions. Since only a few states do not accept this program, and Texas has a few border states, chances are good that one of them does. You can talk to a advisor from TCN or ISU. You Don't have to use TCN, it's just easier and they do the work for you to figure all this out.

susyn153

Specializes in ICU, PICC Nurse, Nursing Supervisor.

The problem here is TCN and ISU both assured me that Texas was a accepting state. Now there is no way I am putting myself through all that hard work only to travel to take the NCLEX in another state and then wait for Texas to accept it ,which they may and then they may not. I would rather know in the begining that my school is accepted by Tx.

before you get madder than a wet hen. Ask TCN or ISU about what states that have licences with Texas that accept the ISU credit. In other words if you can apply for a reciprocal licence with Louisianna and Louisianna accepts the ISU Program, then you go to Louisianna for your NCLEX and then simply apply to Texas for your licensure. I don't know if they do or not. but most border states accept the licence of another state with no problems and few exceptions. Since only a few states do not accept this program, and Texas has a few border states, chances are good that one of them does. You can talk to a advisor from TCN or ISU. You Don't have to use TCN, it's just easier and they do the work for you to figure all this out.

susyn153

+ Add a Comment