Tattoos and nursing

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Ok so I have a question. I am going to be starting school soon to be a LPN. My question is I have a pretty good sized tattoo on my left wrist. It isnt offensive, its very pretty. It is a dragonfly. Do you all think I will have problems with employment and people taking me seriously after school is done. I want honest opinions. I will not get offended by anyhting any of you have to say. I am just trying to get all info I can. Thank You! :p

Most programs just require that it be covered when you are at school/hospital for clinicals. Most hospitals require the same thing of their employees.

Just wear a watch with a wide band over it............ :)

Specializes in Cardiac.

Most schools are quite anal about tattoos and jewelry. We can't even wear our wedding rings (just the band).... :uhoh3: no earrings, hair must be pulled back and everything must look very professional. The good news is, your clinical attire should include a lab coat that will cover your arms.

Ok so I have a question. I am going to be starting school soon to be a LPN. My question is I have a pretty good sized tattoo on my left wrist. It isnt offensive, its very pretty. It is a dragonfly. Do you all think I will have problems with employment and people taking me seriously after school is done. I want honest opinions. I will not get offended by anyhting any of you have to say. I am just trying to get all info I can. Thank You! :p
I have a bracelet tattooed around my wrist and have received only positive comments about it from both coworkers and pts, never any complaints. Having worked med-surg at a large teaching hospital and rehab at a small private hospital I found that sometimes it even made a good icebreaker with pts. who would otherwise be less communicative.They were always interested when they saw it and would ask "is it real? what does it mean? etc." That could get a conversational ball rolling more easily then me asking "when was your last bowel movement?" Now I work in NICU where it is impossible to cover but the babies are not offended either. The only time I ever covered it with a watch was in clinical with an EVIL instructor who would single people out and belittle them for any nonconformity. Thank goodness most people appreciate originality! That being said, it's probably a good idea to be conservative about the rest of your appearance. One small tattoo is an interesting detail, several tattoos and pink hair are just looking for attention.Hope this helps and good luck to you!
Specializes in Geriatrics/Oncology/Psych/College Health.

Use our search function with the words "tattoos" and "piercing" and you'll get a whole range of thoughts on the issue.

I think you'll find the vast majority of us just want a competent co-worker. Facilities want the same in a package that doesn't distract from patient care. I think you'll be fine, although long sleeves in an interview might be advisable so you don't lose out based on someone else's preconceived notions.

Thank You all so much for your info. You made me all feel better about it. I have had people tell me I would never get taken seriously with it, but then again they are closed minded. I just wanted the opinion of intelligent people and those who are working in the field. Thanks again! :p

Let's see, last count I have four tattoos, and 10 piercings. But when I am at work, I remove the piercings and my tattoos are covered by my scrubs. There is a new trend in the tattooing business. They call them professional tattoos. Ones that can be covered by work clothes. They are actually becoming quit popular. I did a research paper on this subject, and thae stats. on how the public views tattoos is changing. They no longer view them as a sign of a bad person, or the typical thought of a biker. Now tattoos are being seen as works of, a creation on skin rather than canvas. This is also in part to the increased use of colors, not just the typical black ink. We are all nurses, but we are also individuals that have our own lives and personalities. If someone judges us because of they way that we look. it is their loss. They will never get to know what an interesting people we are. :twocents: :innerconf

Specializes in Neuro, Critical Care.
Let's see, last count I have four tattoos, and 10 piercings. But when I am at work, I remove the piercings and my tattoos are covered by my scrubs. There is a new trend in the tattooing business. They call them professional tattoos. Ones that can be covered by work clothes. They are actually becoming quit popular. I did a research paper on this subject, and thae stats. on how the public views tattoos is changing. They no longer view them as a sign of a bad person, or the typical thought of a biker. Now tattoos are being seen as works of, a creation on skin rather than canvas. This is also in part to the increased use of colors, not just the typical black ink. We are all nurses, but we are also individuals that have our own lives and personalities. If someone judges us because of they way that we look. it is their loss. They will never get to know what an interesting people we are. :twocents: :innerconf

:) thats why i got my tattoo like i did! its in a spot that can show when im being bad and not show when im trying to be good :saint: lol...i have a little butterfly its so cute! I also had my eyebrow pierced but not anymore and my tongue which i'm thinking i'll prob take out soon, its about time anyway...lol

:) thats why i got my tattoo like i did! its in a spot that can show when im being bad and not show when im trying to be good :saint: lol...i have a little butterfly its so cute! I also had my eyebrow pierced but not anymore and my tongue which i'm thinking i'll prob take out soon, its about time anyway...lol

My current tat is a work in progress, I am 5 hours into it and it's about 1/3 done. It is my birth :cool: sign along with my children's on my lower back. I love it :smokin: As far as your tounge, I say keep it. I love mine. I put in a clear ball for work. I have had it for over two years and most people don't know. Not only that the guys love it :lol2:

I have 1 tattoo and 11 piercings and have no plans to get rid of any of them for school. However,I don't know the policy at my school for ear rings but I'm not going to be happy if I have to take out my helix, rook, and my BRAND NEW CONCH, which will close up. I'll remove them for school if I have to but I wont like it!:angryfire

I have 14 piercings and 2 tattoos and have no plans of getting rid of any of them. I just had my nose pierced and all comments from staff and patients have been positive, they think it is cute. I love it when patients ask me how many holes I have in my head. One of my tattoos is on the back of my neck and visible. I have never heard any negatives about it either. I like being different and unique, and it doesn't mean I am a bad nurse or your a bad nurse. Don't let anyone tell you different. :chuckle

Specializes in Cardiac.
I have 1 tattoo and 11 piercings and have no plans to get rid of any of them for school. However,I don't know the policy at my school for ear rings but I'm not going to be happy if I have to take out my helix, rook, and my BRAND NEW CONCH, which will close up. I'll remove them for school if I have to but I wont like it!:angryfire

I wasn't even allowed to wear my engagement ring. No necklace, no rings, and minimal make-up. I had to have my hair up and not touching my shoulders. Hopefully your school isn't like a military institution like mine.

+ Add a Comment