Foreign Nurse with BS willing to work as a LPN

Nurses LPN/LVN


Hello everybody. I would like to know if I can use my academic record to skip few classes at LPN course. I can't take a Nclex for RN now because my academic record isn't in a Syllabus format. I graduated in 1983 ...And I don't need go back to nursing school to become a RN in USA. But this is another story. Now I wanna try becoming a LPN to afford my bills and keep raising my daugther. . So is there a chance that using my academic record I can skip classes at LPN courses ? Thank you

I'm definitely not an expert, but I'm guessing you'd need a transcript and syllabi as evidence of your education to be eligible for LPN licensure, just like you'd need to them to to be eligible for RN licensure. In most states, a single Board of Nursing oversees both LPNs and RNs, so I don't see why their requirements for proof of education would be any different. California apparently has two seperate governing bodies for RNs and LPNs, so that's the only place I can think of where the requirements might be different.

You'll probably get more helpful responses if you post on the 'International' or 'Registration' forums than the 'LPN' forum, since many of the people who follow that forum have actually gone through the process.

The easiest and most accurate way to find out the answer to your question would be to contact the Board of Nursing for the state you're interested in directly.

I have a transcript. Is my academic record with all my classes and grades during 4 years that I took at University in Brazil. I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your response.

I wish you had used a different title for this thread. Do you have any idea of how offensive it is to say you 'are willing to work as an LPN'?

How many years has it been since you worked as a nurse of any designation?

You aren't academically eligible to work as an RN, the board governing LPNs in your state/province is under no obligation to permit you to attempt the exam.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I can share with you that you should contact the Board of Nursing in a state where you (will) live, or your preferred state. You will have a better outcome for your inquiry.

Disclaimer: don't take my opinion seriously. I'm just guessing according to being an experienced student transferred trillions of credits from different colleges/universities to where I'm currently at.

I would definetly contact the COLLEGE OF NURSES or whoever is the governing body where you want to work. It is different everywhere you go.

Specializes in OB, Family Practice, Pediatrics.

You should be able to look online for the Nurse Licensing Board in the state where you want to work. They should have information regarding licensing for foreign educated nurses.

+ Add a Comment