Florida RN moving to Toronto---need advice

Nurses General Nursing


:balloons: :nurse: I'm moving to Toronto---as soon as possible--and need some advice from nurses living in either Ontario or anywhere in Toronto. Is it possible for an American nurse to find employement in Toronto--before I get there? I know that it's easier for a nurse to be granted residency if she has a job prospect; I just don't exactly know how to make that happen.

I have requested an application packet from the College of Nurses. At this point I'd love to get an interview, but I think I have to already have my Toronto Licence in order to even get an interview....

Anyone in Canada have any thoughts on where I can look to begin to dialogue with Canadian nurses/nurse recruiters. I especially want to work in hospice; but it seems as though Canadian hospice is very different from US hospice. We have nurses that are paid to go out to patient's homes and work with their medical needs. In Canada, so I'm told, most hospices are run by volunteers; it's not the multidisciplinary nurse/medical assistant/clergy/volunteer/ MD--that it is here. I'm afraid I'll end up working in a hospital--which I'm not too crazy about that idea.

Any thoughts??

Jessica in Orlando

[email protected]

loriangel14, RN

6,931 Posts

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

I not sure but I think you have to write the Canadian nursing exam and get licenced here before you can work.Check at www.cno.org for info and do a search of the threads on here because I know this has been covered several times. Welcome to Canada!


6,620 Posts

Once you get lisenced, you can work as a nurse in Canada thanks to NAFTA. You probably shouldn't even bother trying to find work until you are lisenced. Once you have the job offer you cross the border and apply for a TN visa. This is the visa that allows you to live and work in Canada and it's way faster than applying for permanent residency right away. It has to be renewed yearly.

I don't work hospice, but have an aunt who worked hospice in Alberta. She did go out to homes just like you described. Another friend of mine works in an inpatient hospice unit.


613 Posts

Specializes in Psych, Informatics, Biostatistics.

I can see the Alberta Nursing contract online. I would think I would be able to view the Ontario contract as well. Just don't know where. I have accessed their website already.


112 Posts

This is one situation where I would recommend that you consult with a Canadian immigration attorney.

At a minimum, you will require a work visa which may be possible secondary to NAFTA........but if you are interested in immigration, a work visa does not lead to "landed status" (the equivalent of the US "green card").

Such legal matters are to complex to rely on the advice of folks in this forum, including myself. If moving/immigrating to Canada is your goal, invest a little money and get proper legal counsel. "Moving" to Canada is really immigration and not as simple as moving from one American state to another.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X