Any independent case managers out there? - page 2

Anyone out there practicing independently? I would like to do this eventually, but I do not have workman's comp experience, and it seems that this is what they want. Any tips?... Read More

  1. by   nightingale
    You may want to check out some of the threads on Nursing Entrepreneur for ideas. Obviously, someone must be doing it somewhere. Find out how and set yourself up for contracts.

    I do not mean to make it sound easy but the best offense is a good defense. Being an independent contractor is part of what will make nursing successful for the NURSE. It is time we worked for ourselves so WE can work for our patients.

    Let us know how we may be of help.

    Last edit by nightingale on Oct 5, '02
  2. by   renerian
    I am considering taking a case manager for a company that has the state medicaid population. the pay is horrible, but no on call weekends, nights or holidays and after 16 years that sounds good.

    I own a home health/hospice consulting company and have worked on a contract basis. By the time I paid self employment state, federal, city tax and social security it was not worth it...

  3. by   lynnintn
    I did not see the thread below asking the same question about independent CM; Sorry
  4. by   lynnintn
    In TN, where I practice, you can't go independent until you get your CCM, CDMS, CRRN. I am talking here about workers comp case management. You have to apply to the state workers comp board in order to practice w/c case management.

    Under TN law, I am currently practicing as a case mgmt. assistant, which essentially means there is someone over me where I work who has certification.

    The company I used to work for is owned by 2 nurses and they have done very well. What has hurt them the most is that many of the larger employers only use national CM companies, because they want continuity in every state. They have had to market very aggressively and have focused on relationship building with the adjusters, who are the ones that refer cases out to be case managed.

    Any way, I hope I can eventually strike out on my own. My company charges the insurance companies any where from $70-$90 per hour for my services, and I barely get 1/4 of it.
  5. by   hoolahan
    Hey kcw... I merged the threads. I meant to have yours stay the primary title, since the date is newer, but I did it wrong, but now all the replies will be under one thread.

    I have NO idea if there are any such rules in New Jersey! Where would I inquire about that? The Board of Nsg? Who determines that you must have all these credentials to go independent?? Or is that just the accepted standard where you are??

    I am very curious about this.

    I can see how it would be very difficult to do this job independently now that I have been in it for a few months. I have been sure to be very good to my adjusters. I am hoping if I establish a good relationship with some in good companies, I will get some offers to work for them independently.
  6. by   lynnintn
    In TN, workers comp. case management is supervised by the state of TN's Worker Compensation board, not the board of nursing. They prefer that case managers be RNs, but if you have a B.S. or M.S. in Social Work or Disability Management or Voc. Rehab, then you can work as a case manager; it becomes more complicated when the injured worker reaches certain threshholds per state criteria; then the RNs are the only ones who can do what we call "one shots" or "task assignments"; also, pretty much only nurses with ICU backgrounds get the CAT cases.

    But this all varies from state to state, unless you get federal employees, and those are administered under the OWCP, which is another story...

    Your employer should be able to furnish you with your state W/C laws re: case management and has a link to all the different states w/c laws.

    Are you with a local CM co. or a national?

  7. by   renerian
    Good Thread I am learning alot......

  8. by   Keysnurse2008
    I never knew why workers comp injured people were so angry...UNTIL...I got hurt.Then I figured it out really quick.You get delayed tx,sent to drs who are biased(usually),..and then the entire time this is happening your symptoms worsen......and it isnt workers comp who has to live with the injury...its the worker.
  9. by   ryaninmtv
    In Ohio, for worker's comp purposes, one must have either an RN or BS, MS in rehab counseling or disability management. In addition, one must have one of the following certifications: CCM, CDMS, CRRN, CRC, COHN or CVE. Practitioners without on of the certifications can practice as interns (with claims in the state insurance fund) under the direction of a certified provider. Most of my practice is with self-insured employers which does not require certification and the payment comes from the employer rather than the BWC. Taking the CCM next week. Study, study, study...