Jump to content

Can you get GI upset from cleaning supplies?

Nurses   (3,874 Views 8 Comments)
by dedicatedstudent08 dedicatedstudent08 (New Member) New Member

698 Profile Views; 6 Posts

My mom just had a bout of GI upset (nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea). She is convinced that an allergic reaction to Clorox Bleach/other cleaning supplies caused the symptoms.

Is it possible to get these symptoms from just touching/being exposed to these types of products. It seems to me that the product would have to be ingested.

If anyone has thoughts on this I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

1,927 Posts; 14,514 Profile Views

That's a very interesting question. I have never thought of that. If smells can make a person nauseous I guess they could possibly have other side effects. I'm going to have to search the web. I'm very curious now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

1,927 Posts; 14,514 Profile Views

Ok, found this website:

http://www.doi.gov/greening/sustain/trad.html

From the site:

Nausea or other gastrointestinal ailments: Gastrointestinal ailments can result from ingestion of harmful chemicals or as a side effect of chemical sensitivity or allergy.

I'm confused by their term of "ingestion". Of course if you ingest bleach it's going to cause GI problems.

I'm going to assume it's legit considering it has .gov and is a government agency. Maybe the EPA has more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jo Dirt has 9 years experience.

3,270 Posts; 17,170 Profile Views

I will clean just to smell the Clorox Clean UP and Comet and Spic and Span and Pine Sol and there's nothing wrong with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

allantiques4me specializes in Brain injury,vent,peds ,geriatrics,home.

481 Posts; 5,893 Profile Views

You could get chemical pnuemonia if, for example, you mixed the Clorox with Ammonia!!That could kill you for sure.I ,myself have been wondering of the S/E of spraying airfresheners in the air. Ive been doing that quite often after cleaning my house.You could get sick from absorbing things via breathing,eating ,drinking and through your skin.And Ive always been very environmentally oriented.Im sure thers a correlation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myxel67 has 15 years experience and specializes in Diabetes ED, (CDE), CCU, Pulmonary/HIV.

463 Posts; 5,376 Profile Views

I don't know about GI upset, but clorine bleach can wreck the lungs. When I worked on Pulmonary floor, I had many women who developed pulmonary fibrosis from using Clorox without adequate ventilation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×