Jump to content

Called to interview for dream job on first day at non-dream job

Professionalism   (2,209 Views | 9 Replies)

JustAdmitToObs has 5 years experience and specializes in CDU, cardiac telemetry, med-surg.

1,540 Profile Views; 51 Posts

I realize that I'm jumping the gun on whether I will receive an offer from dream job, but I want to be prepared. There is no question that I would not accept an offer from the dream job as I've been trying to get an interview there for more than 6 months.

I took a very part time job (16 hours/month) in an LTC and have had one day of orientation. I have only 3 more days of orientation and then would start on my own this weekend. The interview is this week.

In the event that I were to get an offer, how should I go about handling giving notice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

122 Posts; 2,451 Profile Views

I would be honest and tell them the reason is because it is where your heart is most passionate. I've never been in this situation for nursing (I'm a pre nursing student!) but I have been in this situation twice in my previous profession (cosmetology). Both times I had been offered a job and accepted it when I was then offered my ideal dream place to work. Both times I felt bad letting down the place I already accepted and was meant to start (that same day on one of them!) but I never regretted my decision. I understand you'll have started the first job before you may even get an offer for your dream job but my advice would still be the same, tell them the truth and go after what you want!

Edited to add: the first time this happened I was a receptionist for the salon and in school and the second time was when I had my cosmetology license and was looking to be a stylist. Just wanted to clarify on why it's happened twice for me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Article; 1,161 Posts; 22,157 Profile Views

Same thing happened to me (except it wasn't on my first day, it was within my first month). I was honest, told them I loved working there (which I did) but that I couldn't pass up this opportunity and that I was giving my 3 week notice (I gave 3 instead of 2 because orientation for my new job was 3 weeks away). Since I did love it so much, I asked if I could work prn if my schedule allowed, and they said yes.

2 week notice is probably sufficient, and totally up to you if you offer to work prn, but the honesty part is necessary! They should understand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

laKrugRN specializes in Cardiac, ER, Pediatrics, Corrections.

479 Posts; 5,699 Profile Views

I took another job while on orientation at another job. I gave them my two weeks and gave them a letter. They did not have me stay the 2 weeks. I was told the next day would be my last day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JustAdmitToObs has 5 years experience and specializes in CDU, cardiac telemetry, med-surg.

51 Posts; 1,540 Profile Views

The part that I feel bad about is knowing that if I get the offer it will be just after I finish orientation and they will have had to pay my preceptor and me for no return. I almost want to cut the ties now just to avoid the guilt of being paid for orientation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JustAdmitToObs has 5 years experience and specializes in CDU, cardiac telemetry, med-surg.

51 Posts; 1,540 Profile Views

Did you tell them in person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

147 Posts; 3,695 Profile Views

With you working so few hours/mo at the LTC, why not work both jobs for a while and (assuming all goes well at your DREAMMM job) quit the LTC position in 6-12 mos? This way if the grass really isn't greener, you still have the LTC job to fall back to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

249 Posts; 4,597 Profile Views

The very part time hours of your non dream job is a reason in itself to give them for resigning-you were offered a job with more hours (assuming you want more hours). If you are still on orientation when you give notice, they will likely not keep you around for 2 weeks as they won't want to pay to train you if you are going to leave.

But I agree that it might be a good idea to at least try to keep the non dream job around and not give notice until you see what dream job is actually like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Article; 1,161 Posts; 22,157 Profile Views

Don't leave yet, if the dream job doesn't come through, you won't be getting a paycheck. Don't feel that bad either, it's the cost of doing business, they have gone through it before and will again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

laKrugRN specializes in Cardiac, ER, Pediatrics, Corrections.

479 Posts; 5,699 Profile Views

Yes I told them in person. I was honest. I would definitely wait till you know for sure that your dream job is going to be offered to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.