NP-First Assists

  1. Can anyone answer this - I am a women's health nurse practitioner and a first assist in calif. Can I bill medi-cal for the first assisting I do as a WHNP or do I have to be a diffierent type of NP. I also have my CNOR.
  2. Visit OB NP profile page

    About OB NP

    Joined: Apr '04; Posts: 7


  3. by   CA CoCoRN
    I may be wrong, but I overheard an NP friend of mine talking about this. I think you have to be certified (or similarly recognized) as a F.A. before you can bill for this. Check with the Board, or even the CNOR organization.
  4. by   Fairshare
    California doesn't distinguish between NP specialties. I don't know about the certification as an FA.
  5. by   pickledpepperRN
    The BRN does not require an RN first assist to be a NP. Competency validation and a standardized procedure approved by the medical, nursing, and top management of the facility are required.
    At my hospital the health department gave written permission to use an RN or PA instead of a third surgeon in open heart surgery.
    Here is the link:
  6. by   suzanne4
    As a nurse to get reimbursed, most states require that the nurse is a RNFA.
    You can get thre requirements from AORN.