Jump to content

Australian Assistant In Nursing on working holiday in UK!

Has 3 years experience. Specializes in Aged Care.

Hi Guys.

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions. Let me start by introuducing Myself.

My Name is Matt, and I'm 19 yrs Old - I'm an Certificate IV Assistant In Nursing / Team leader in aged care, in Sydney, Australia.

I've been thinking lately that I would like to apply for a working holiday maker visa in the UK, to experience life abroad, before I come home and start my Bachelors of Nursing.

My Question is, how would I go about entering the nursing workforce in the UK with my Australian Qualifications, into a similar role to my current one. How does the training system work, and etc.

Any information would be helpful, and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!



ayla2004, ASN, RN

Has 5 years experience.

lets see as an aus and under 30 you are eligble for an UK holiday working visa for 2 year.

this means you could be hired for care assistant/support worker jobs espically in nursing homes, hospitals are generally harder to get into.

Not sure about the iv cert, does this mean you can start one or give medications. giving iv meds is a nurse only job in the uk.


this is the link


Specializes in Med onc, med, surg, now in ICU!.

Not sure about the iv cert, does this mean you can start one or give medications. giving iv meds is a nurse only job in the uk.

A Cert IV in australia is actually a certificate 4 - the IV is roman numerals, not an abbreviation. Cert IVs come from our technical schools. Don't worry, IV meds are only given by nurses in Australia too!

Good luck Matt, sounds like the working visa is the best way to go. I would take the traditional aussie route and be a bartender if I were you, unless you really, really want to do personal/home care stuff.

nightmare, LPN

Specializes in Nursing Home ,Dementia Care,Neurology..

That sounds like NVQ/SVQ type of certificate or even Btech. Whether that would be recognised here ,I'm not sure,but Nursing Homes are always on the look out for experienced carers,but you probably would not get an enhanced rate of pay to go with your experience.

I have the same query.

I am completely unsure as to whether or not our qualifications mean anything in the UK.

I don't think they do.

Do you need qualifications to work in a nursing home in the UK or is experience enough?


Has 22 years experience. Specializes in Advanced Practice, surgery.

You do not need qualifications to work as a care giver in nursing home just a valid work permit which I understand isn't a problem for you. Although your austrailian qualifications are not recognised here your experience and the fact you have recieved training will. Just be aware we have high unemployment in the UK at the moment so finding work may not be that easy

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.