NP grad working still in ICU NSO says need NP malpractice

  1. Hi,Just received my renewal for my student NP malpractice insurance. Now that I am officially licensed as a NP, I need to pay 800 dollars even if I am working as a RN(ICU). NSO said I need to insure to the highest license held. Is this true?I thought I could revert back to RN malpractice at 100 dollars till I pass boards and get a job. It's very expensive.Gladys
  2. Visit gladys105 profile page

    About gladys105

    Joined: Nov '05; Posts: 4; Likes: 1
    Staff Nurse ICU; from US


  3. by   traumaRUs
    Nope, the minute you graduate you are held to the standard of the NP whether you work as an RN or NP.....I would fork over the $800.
  4. by   joanna73
    Nurses are always held to the highest standard of licensure. It works this way everywhere. You need to be properly insured.
  5. by   elkpark
    NSO is right. Just as RNs are held, legally, to the standards/practices of an RN even if they are working in an LPN or CNA position, you are legally held to the standards/practices of an NP even if you are working as a staff nurse. Of course, it's your choice whether to carry insurance or not, but, it you're going to, the insurance companies are right to refuse to insure you at a "lower" level than your current level of education/licensure. Licenses are 24/7/365; we don't get to turn them on and off when we choose.
  6. by   reddgirl
    No ma'am! You must have NP coverage. Your RN coverage is basically obsolete now! So you need to protect yourself fully now.