Looking for opportunities to volunteer overseas.Register Today!
This is a discussion on Looking for opportunities to volunteer overseas. in Volunteer Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... I'm graduating in May and am interested in eventually going on a mission type trip to provide...by kaleeh Mar 18, '06I'm graduating in May and am interested in eventually going on a mission type trip to provide medical assistance overseas, preferably in Africa. Anyone know where I can get information on doing this or know of any reputable organizations? I've searched the internet but there are thousands of organizations and I don't know where to start.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=148813©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 18,814 Views
- Mar 18, '06 by zacariasTry looking up Operation Smile, and Doctors without Borders.
You should have two years nursing experience before volunteering abroad.
- Mar 18, '06 by kaleehnt:spin:
- Mar 19, '06 by futureTMA
- Apr 23, '06 by stevemcI would guess that most of those 'organisations' you found on the internet want you to pay to volunteer?
It is difficult finding real volunteer opportunities direct with NGOs/charities etc.
With your skills it would be madness to pay big money to volunteer.
www.volunteersouthamerica.net (South America)
- Apr 23, '06 by -Midget-Doctors w/o Borders looks amazing! I checked that out a few months ago...the stories were really cool!
- Apr 24, '06 by stevemci have just noticed that the missionfinder site i posted earlier is down.
the url is correct - it is a good site, hopefully back soon.
i guess that not even god gets 24hr uptime...
mission finder: classified directories of christian missions ... classified links and lists for short term and medical missions, vocational and professional missions, missions for medical students and retirees, ...
- Apr 26, '06 by melanie2968Check with the hosptial you are employed with they may have opportunities to recomend you for a volunteering position. Another place to check with is Smile Train they are often looking for volunteers.
- Apr 26, '06 by nightingaleQuote from stevemcI guess that not even God gets 24hr uptime...
Stevie, since you are in the UK, perhaps you might know of specific volunteerism in Ireland? I am refering to categories in volunteering or perhaps you could recommend an Agency? It has always been my dream to go to Ireland and perhaps the most feasible is to volunteer for a couple of months.
- May 14, '06 by stevemckaleeh,
Kids Worldwide (A good organisation IMO) have a medical volunteer program in Ghana which is definitely worth a look:
I know more about volunteering in S. America than in my own back yard,
if I hear of anything I'll drop you a line.