RV's anyone??? - Page 9Register Today!
- Aug 26, '07 by RNERHOUSESUPORDoug,
Do you have any photos of your toyhauler and suggestions on what to look for. I have looked at several but haven't found the one yet. Have a younger brother that bought one last year and will allow me to "rent" it this winter for my trip to Florida. I believe his is a Raptor but I haven't seen it for about a year and don't remember for sure. There is a Raptor forsale here in Kansas that had never been used. A couple bought it said they never had a chance to use it and now it's on ebay. There was (and maybe still is ) an Alfa Toyhauler in Colorado that I wanted to go out and look at but haven't yet. The Alfa has "basement air". No air conditioners on the roof, not sure how that would work. If you have read all my posts, you know that I have been working with this for a while and haven't made the plunge yet. Did take a travel assignment last winter in Florida and rented a room. It worked out ok but not like having your own home with you. RV sites in Florida are not that plentiful. There are some mobile home parks that allow RV parking on empty lot's but some of them are in less than desirable neighborhoods. Hopefully I can get at least a month in a public park and will be able to find a spot that I can reserve for next year. Thanks again for your information you can pm me or email to email@example.com.
- Aug 26, '07 by NYNurse07Thanks for the posts. I graduated in May and my husband and
I have been thinking about this as a empty nest adventure once the kids are gone in about 10 years or so.
I have always wanted to see all of the United States and love camping and the RVing thing. I wondered how many people out there were doing this and was pleasantly surprised to see RNs doing this. My husband is a software programmer and we have a couple of side businesses on top of my brand spanking new graduate nurse job -- it's so hard to be low man on the totem pole when I've been top dog in my business for a decade!!! But I am enjoying the thrill of learning... and scared to death I will make a mistake!
Great to hear all you having fun and doing what I dream about.
Keep the posts coming - I want to hear about everyone's adventures!
- Aug 27, '07 by duggramRod,
Since this picture was taken (Feb '07) I have upgraded my pickup to a dually long bed quadcab. For me these trailers are too big for an SRW (single rear wheel) pickup. I had too many close calls on the Alcan to not upgrade.
I also upgraded my wheels and tires on the trailer to 16", which are much safer than the 15's that came with it. I had two blow outs just bringing it home from Elkhart, IN (I saved >8k buying it at Tiara).
You should know that Raptor's are about as cheap as you want to go. There are much cheaper, but if you're going to spend any time in one of these you need a little quality. I could not live with patio furniture!!
Better yet when I upgrade I'm going with a KZ Escalade Sporter. Twice the price but worth it. BTW the Raptor is my first RV.
If you have the time you might want to got to rv.net and check out the community. They have two forums of interest, Tow Vehicles and Toyhaulers.
- Aug 27, '07 by RNERHOUSESUPORThanks Doug,
Great photo and useful information. I have looked on the Woodalls site but not much on the RV net. Will have to check it out more.
- Sep 26, '07 by ponsThanks for the great info trvlnRN. I am planning on doing exactly that. Would you tell me who your contrated with and what health insurance is costing you? Does the housing allowance cover the cost of the MH and what are you able to deduct living out on the road???????????
- Oct 9, '07 by housemommaOK here we gooooooooooooooooooo Wife and I are purchasing a motorhome at then end of the month!! may the lord help us and keep us safe!!!
- Oct 16, '07 by Misty1Duggram.... what kind of truck do you have? We have a fifth wheel picked out... Doubletree and they are heavey but haven't decided on a truck yet. I think were going to get a Ford 350 with the double back wheels...Deisel
- Oct 23, '07 by RNERHOUSESUPORFinally hooked the truck up to the toyhauler. Everything worked. The hitch was at the right height, all the lights worked and the brakes did their thing. Was a little supprised at how hard the trailer pulled but there was a bit of wind that day. Am saving my money for a performance tuned chip and some gauges. Forgot the camera or I would be posting pictures too. Now all I have to do is find the job in Florida and somewhere to park. Wish me luck.Last edit by RNERHOUSESUPOR on Oct 23, '07 : Reason: tried a photo of the truck
- Oct 24, '07 by wandererRNDoes anyone here own or know of an owner of a Casita or Scamper travel trailer? They are the smaller fiberglass models. I realize some of the manufacurers put better insulation, etc, than others....and have been checking out RV forums about these fiberglass trailers. Just curious if anyone here knows anything...
I am looking to go full time within 2008..thanks
- Nov 14, '07 by NoahjWow this thread has me really excited!!
Got a question for anyone here to answer or comment on.
The wife and i are planning on traveling starting the summer of 09. At that time, our son will be 6 1/2 yrs old. What we are thinking of doing is my wife home schooling while we travel and be involved in local activities (such as a YMCA) to keep him involved with other kids his age.
However, after reading through this thread i am really considering the RV route as well. Obviously the difference would be living in a RV and at a RV park compared to a condo/apartment.
Has anyone done this with a young child or know of anyone that has? My concerns would be the room for him. Not sure if this would be an issue or not. I could see him having limited area as a problem. However, we are outdoor people and wouldn't stay inside too much if it was an apartment or an RV. We camp regularly as it is, so being at a campground wouldn't be something new to him (but 13 weeks would).
So anyone have any opinions about this? The idea of RV traveling is awesome and would love to do it. But is it realistic with a child of 6/7 years old?