Contracts for Alaska
- 0Jun 1, '12 by Lou4Hello,
I am an ER nurse looking to head out on an adventure to Alaska in the coming months. Has anyone worked AK? I received a first draft of a pay package based on a small rural center that seems fairly reasonable to me, but I'm not overly familiar with the area.
Job listings for full time employment advertise $32.57/hourly.
Here is the first draft of a pay package I have been sent:
Housing provided by the facility
$500 travel reimbursement (this will certainly need to be negotiated - flights to AK are far more than this)
$15.09/hr = ~$543.00/week (based on a 36 hr work week)
$129/daily Stipend = $903/week
Estimated weekly after taxes: ~$1365
OT rate: $46 for all hours over 36/week
Thanks for your input!
- 0Jun 17, '12 by WorldtravelgirlI haven't actually traveled yet, so I can't give any feedback, but I wanted to ask you about transportation. Are they going to give you money for a rental car? I am hoping to get a travel assignment in Alaska soon, and that was one of the concerns I had. One company I spoke to said they gave an extra $100/wk for a rental car. Just something for you to think about! Keep us updated!! Good luck!
- 0Aug 12, '12 by Lou4Hello Hello,
I did end up taking a 13 week contract in Alaska. In fact, I am currently sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. Headed to a small fly-in only community called Bethel. No real need for a car where I am headed - not even sure if there is a rental place. Something I've learned through this process is that nothing is free. Everything you add takes a little more out of your pocket as far as wage and whatnot. Seems like it's generally the same money, just depends how you would like it distributed.
I didn't so much choose a company as a recruiter. I found one that answered my questions promptly, was forthcoming with information, and easy to keep in touch with. She happened to be Flexcare.
- 1Aug 13, '12 by dreamworx07Quote from Lou4I actually looked at this job but got cold feet ..... I heard how remote it is. I would love an update once you get there how you found it to be. Never know what the future will bring!!Ps. I ended up taking a more financially lucrative contract then the one I originally posted.
- 0Aug 13, '12 by TruckeeSo ironic. I just got off the phone w flexcare. I was pleased, one thing she said right off the top was that they did not negotiate much on pay packages but that was the only thing that gave me any concern. Any tips on what to look for/ask for with them? What made you pick Bethel? I have been looking at Barrow.