TCU ABSN 2012Register Today!
- by JAMSALEStoRN Oct 7, '11Hello everyone! I have submitted my application for TCU's accelerated bsn program. I am getting ready to take the HESI A2 next week and my file will be 100% complete. I have been checking allnurses.com frequently to see if there are any other TCU 2012 hopefuls, but haven't come across anyone yet! Are you out there?? If so, lets start talking!!
A little about me...I have been working as a medical sales representative for close to 10 years. I have worked in pharma, device, disposables, biotech, services, and specialty pharmacy. Throughout the years, my love for the medical industry has only increased until one day I decided to take the plunge and start my pre-requisites. Now with them completed, I am looking into TCU (first choice), El Centro (2nd choice, only have one additional pre-req to take) and UTA (still have 6, yes, 6 pre-requisites to take and doubtful I will be able to apply by for the Fall 2012 start class, perhaps the spring 2013). I live in Lantana (outside of Flower Mound) so I will be commuting each day to the school I get accepted to (fingers crossed).
So that's my story! What is yours??
- Oct 12, '11 by Over35hopefulHi I am also applying for the program in 2012! I have almost your identical background. Sold pharma and biotech for the past 10 years. I am taking the HESI on 10/14. My gpa in the science is 3.8 but my overall my be a bit low. I didn't do so well in undergraduate which was over 10 years ago but in have gotten mostly A's on all my classes taken over the past 2 years. I am pray i do well on the test. My concern is I have been out of school for so long and I am not sure about the math portion. I am a bit rusty in the fractions! LoL. Let's keep in contact through this journey! Best of luck to ALL!!!
- Oct 12, '11 by JAMSALEStoRNHi there Over35hopeful!!
It's crazy that we have such a similar background! I am also taking the HESI Friday at TCU. I hope to meet you there! I am also very nervous about the exam. In fact, I am doing a prep class at El Centro tomorrow just to relax and hopefully gain some confidence prior to going in on Friday. I have been studying two different guides to prepare for the math and A&P portions of the test.
I just wrapped up my A&P course and have A&PII that starts on Monday for 8 weeks. Then I will be taking Nutrition in an 8 week course. MY GPA in my science courses is a 4.0, but my undergrad was only a 3.03.
Perhaps we will meet on Friday. I will be the short gal with red hair.
If we don't meet (and even if we do) GOOD LUCK on the test!!
- Oct 12, '11 by Over35hopefulWow! I wish I had taken the course at El Centro. There is no doubt I could taken in a few test taking pointers. If I don't do well this time I will take it for the next go around. I am also very nervous about the exam! I meant to mention in my last post I
am located in Frisco so we are relatively close to one another. I will definitely look for you on Friday. I am also a short gal only 5'0 tall. I have long brown hair. There are only 20 spots for the exam so we shouldn't have a problem finding each other. I will be there early since I have no idea how long it will take in traffic to get to the location. Happy studying!!
- Oct 13, '11 by RedTxI will be taking the test tomorrow with you folks. I live over in Flower Mound so im very close to you JAMSALEStoRN. If we could connect in time it would be nice to carpool? but thats completely up to you?I have been in outside sales and management in different arenas in the last 10. I've sold construction equipment, and payroll software. Last January I just couldn't stomach anymore and im hoping this is the right path.
Im a semi tall (6' 0) red headed guy.
I am also worried about the math portion. I have been studying some manuals the last two weeks so I will so how it goes.
Last edit by tnbutterfly on Nov 3, '11
- Oct 14, '11 by RedTxWell I made a 87.10 not really what I was looking for but I guess it will have to do for now.
Does anyone know if I can still get in with an 87?
How did the rest of y'all do?Last edit by RedTx on Oct 14, '11
- Oct 14, '11 by Over35hopefulTed better than i did! i made an 80 and was devastated. I feel really bad about it because i spent all of my time studying all the other subjects and didn't bother to look at the A&P section because I took it last year. I figured I would just remember everything. That was just a really silly mistake on my part
Gook to you anyway on getting in!!! I am sure you are fine
- Oct 17, '11 by JAMSALEStoRNHi Over35hopeful and Ted!!
I apologize for the delayed response. I kept checking my hotmail account for an alert and when I still hadn't gotten one, then I decided to come on to come back to allnurses and check...
RedTx, sorry we didn't link up to carpool. You were sitting right in front of me to the left! Unfortunately, I did not check this post prior to the test.
As for the overall grade, after the assessment, I went across the hall and gave my scores to *****. According to her, the main thing they are looking at is your math individual score and your grammar, reading, comprehension composition score. While they do keep A&P in mind, many applicants are still taking their A&P courses so they place less emphasis on that.
So with that in mind, Over35hopeful, I am sure you did just fine!! Same with you RedTx!!
I really did study quite a bit with two different books and took a class that wasn't very useful @ El Centro for HESI prep, but the class did calm my nerves a bit by kinda knowing what to expect.
Here are my scores:
A&P 80 (I have only taken A&PI, start A&PII today)
Reading composite 90
Overall score 90
Not sure if these are competitive enough, but I gave it my best shot. Now I suppose it's in the decision making hands. I honestly don't feel I could have studied or prepared any more for the test. I just hope my science GPA and overall GPA carry some weight in their decision. March/April is a loooonnnng time to stress about it though!! I am super nervous and wish we would know something sooner!!
Anyone else out there have any thoughts/comments? For current TCU ABSN students, what were your stats to get in??
Thanks for any feedback!!Last edit by tnbutterfly on Mar 2, '12 : Reason: Please do not post names of school employees
- Oct 17, '11 by Shiner50Don't let the A&P section get you down. There are so many applicants still in the process of taking A&P that they don't hold that score in high regard (or at least that's what my testing group was told). The wait to get in is a long one... I was in your shoes last year. Good luck to you all! I'm a current ABT student, btw.
- Oct 17, '11 by RedTxI talked to ******* about my grade as well and she said I didnt really have anything to worry about. I dont know if she said that to be nice and not freak me out or telling the truth.
From the info I gathered from her which seems to be true is that they put a lot of emphasis on essay, resume, personality, and then the other stuff is just kind of for qualification.
I dont know anything other than I really need to get in. Ive heard of people with exceptional HESI and GPA scores not get in as well as people with standard scores get in. I dont know I just hope I got what they want.
They also told me that undergrad GPA wasnt that important. I hope they are right because my undergrad gpa is awful.
What has everyone done for the essay? I think I really need to shine in the essayLast edit by tnbutterfly on Mar 2, '12 : Reason: Please do not post names of school employees