Calling all Southwest Tennessee Community College 2012 Fall HopefulsRegister Today!
- by Dawn2012 Jan 12, '12The deadline to apply is February 1, 2012. How many are applying? I thought I would start a thread so we can all wait together, and get to know each other. I finished my special application today and will turn it in tomorrow at the start of the spring semester. Good luck to everyone!
- Jan 16, '12 by villasamsHi Dawn,
I am moving to the Memphis, TN area this coming August and was looking at all the different nursing programs in the area. Can you tell me more about what SWTCC is like? What was did you have to do to get where you're at today. I'm basically going to start from scratch. Any info/advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks! and I hope you get in!
- Jan 20, '12 by baseballmom99Hi Dawn! I have applied for the Fall 2012. I am excited but yet very nervous about the whole process. I hope that I have gotten all that is required for admissions. I received my certified letter from Southwest stating that they had received my application. Good luck to you!!!
Quote from Dawn2012The deadline to apply is February 1, 2012. How many are applying? I thought I would start a thread so we can all wait together, and get to know each other. I finished my special application today and will turn it in tomorrow at the start of the spring semester. Good luck to everyone!
- Jan 20, '12 by ShannonBerryI'm applying! I plan on taking my last 2 pre-reqs over the summer, then start in the fall.
- Jan 20, '12 by Dawn2012I have also received my letter. I wish it was more clear stating if my file was complete or if indeed I am missing something. I am going to call next week to double check.
- Jan 24, '12 by nikkih901Hi everyone. Just like you guys, I was once seeking acceptance into the STCC nursing program. I was accepted into the program and have partially completed the program. The only problem, I am now on academic probation since I failed 2 classes (by less than 1 point in both) Although I have come to realize that whether it was 1 point, 1/2 a point or 2 points, it doesn't matter...I have to sit out 2 semesters. I now understand that everything happens for a reason and I will be returning this Fall where I left off.
If you go back to the "Fall 2010 hopefuls" thread that I started, you will see that all of us where just as nervous and eager as you all are and will be until you receive the "phone call" saying that you have been accepted. I decided to post on this thread in hopes of helping by answering any questions and offering positive advice for anyone wishing to be accepted into the program.
First off, I am sure you all have heard that the Fall program is the hardest to get into. And guess what??? It is! The committee chooses the top 60 highest ranking scores. What I know as fact...the most important thing in securing a spot in the top 60 is to make certain that you have completed all your required science courses with all A's. That is the bottom line!
Now on to the actual classes in the program...the 1st bit of advice that I can offer is keep your ears open at all times but NEVER accept any information from a classmate as FACT. ALWAYS listen to YOUR gut! Also, I have to be very honest and say that this program is not easy but completely do-able if you are focused and determined. If you focus on the material that is presented to you and study and retain it, you have nothing to worry about.
When I was placed on academic probation I was devastated because I worked so hard to get accepted and I felt I blew it in one semester. I was doing too many things outside of school. I was working a full time job and a part time job and trying to manage studies. I am not saying that is impossible but for me....it was impossible. I was cheating myself study time that I desperately needed on a daily basis.
Nursing is a 2nd career choice for me and I will tell you that being in the program made me so disgusted that I did not seek this profession years ago. I fell in love with Nursing once I was taught all of the things that I've been taught thus far. But there is nothing I can do about the past. However, what I will tell each of you, do not take this opportunity for granted. Go over and above what is expected of you and the benefits will be reaped.
Take care everyone and the best of luck to each of you!!
- Jan 24, '12 by nikkih901Hi there @ Dawn. If you completed the special application for the Nursing program, submitted your NLN score, have taken all of the required science courses and wrote a letter describing your desire for admission into the Nursing program, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
- Jan 25, '12 by Dawn2012Thank you for the post Nikki. I have checked to make sure my file is complete. I have worked so hard to achieve all A's in my science courses I didn't want something silly to slip between the cracks. I have heard the program is tough, and not to count on getting A's. I hope I don't get to discouraged by not being able to get high grades. I am sure you were very disappointed to get probation, but it gave you time to regroup and think some things through you will come back strong and ready to take on everything they throw at you.I have heard that we shouldn't work while doing this program, I am going to try to work part time and see how it goes. I managed to work part time while taking A&P II, Micro. I am hoping for the best.
- Jan 26, '12 by SheriWoodHi everyone!! The time has come again (for me). I applied for the spring and didnt get in. Made 1 A & 2 B's in prereqs & Only had an index of 57.4. Lowest index was a 58 or 59 Heard the spring is the hardest to get in due to people wanting to continue to work and just go to school on nights and weekends. Hoping for a better chance in the fall :/ Good luck everyone!!
- Jan 26, '12 by Dawn2012Nikki, does SW save a spot for you to return too, or do you have to re apply? Just wondering how that works.