I am currently in a unique situation...After shadowing a CRNA three years ago I moved cities and switched from being an ER nurse to a SICU nurse. While working there I met a guy whom I believe I want to spend my life with. He is currently in his second year of medical school in New York and still has two more to go. I currently live in Baltimore and we have been dating long distance for about a year and a half thus far. Being far away does present challenges and we are ready for a bigger commitment. I have been working towards my pre-CRNA requirements and getting into school prior to meeting him. My dilemma is that the nearest CRNA school is about 4 hours from him in Buffalo. I did apply here, but we would still be long distance and I am afraid that we may break up if I do not move closer to him. There is a nurse practitioner school near his medical school, however, I have been striving for CRNA for 5.5 years now and letting that dream dwindle is very hard for me to grasp at this point since I have worked so hard to get the chance to apply. I have submitted my apps to four schools for CRNA and will not hear back about interviews until October/November. I am thinking of going to the school near his medical school to check out their ACNP program and apply.
To make the situation more interesting is my boyfriend is a naval officer and after his graduation, if we were to marry, I will be moving around the country with him to different medical centers. I am afraid that if I do the CRNA route now that maybe we will end up in nowhere land and I will not be able to get a job and pay off my loans. On the other hand if I would do NP I could find a job pretty much anywhere.
So the pros of CRNA for me would be it is what I have been striving for for the past 5.5 years as a nurse, i have many advanced certifications, love the OR and the autonomy of the CRNA profession. Cons would be I could not be with my boyfriend until after school (2.5-3 years), if we move together I might not find a job to pay off loans.
Pros of NP are I would have a stable career, help people of all ages, smaller tuition/loans, get to be with boyfriend next year and throughout school. Cons are I might feel regret not going to CRNA if I get in, might blame BF if I do not go and not happy with NP, what if we break up?(we HAVE been long distance), will miss putting in lines, gtts, etc. that I would get to do as CRNA
My mom says only I can make that decision of what is right for me and I certainly know this, I am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, what it was and how you dealt with it? Has anyone chose school over moving with a boyfriend/girlfriend or vice versa? I do not want to regret not going to CRNA school and to NP school since I do not have a ring (only a promise) that we will be engaged/married within the next two years. However, NP is not a bad career just not my first choice in my life.
Sorry for the essay...just looking for some sound advice!
Lady With The Lamp