Barry University CRNA interview
- 0May 2, '09 by LadyCham9I have an interview with Barry University in Florida on May 11, 2009 for their CRNA program and I am extremely nervous and I really do not know what to expect. Has anyone gone through the interview process? What types of questions do they ask? What type of content is on the test that they administer? Roughly how soon after the interview do you find out if you are accepted? Anyone's input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
- 16,891 Views
- 0May 2, '09 by icyounurseI was accepted there and started their program last year. I dropped quickly however since I realized CRNA school was not what I wanted to do-so I dont know much about the program beyond the first month. But I can tell you that the interview consisted of watching a presentation about CRNA's, speaking with a financial aid person about the massive massive loans required for the program, taking a 25 question or so test on critical care nursing type stuff and then an individual interview with a panel of program directors/instructors. There were 3 that interviewed me. They ask questions like have you shadowed-what did you think? Are you prepared for the financial and personal struggles to go through school, tell us about your experience, ect. They called me a week later and told me on the phone that they were offering me a spot.
- 0May 11, '09 by Nancy C.Quote from LadyCham9I have an interview with Barry University in Florida on May 11, 2009 for their CRNA program and I am extremely nervous and I really do not know what to expect. Has anyone gone through the interview process? What types of questions do they ask? What type of content is on the test that they administer? Roughly how soon after the interview do you find out if you are accepted? Anyone's input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi, how is going today? I got a call from Barry today that I will have an interview in July 13. So, we may be in the same class next year. Is the interview very stressful? THANKS< Nancy
- 0May 13, '09 by Nancy C.Hi, I hope I can give you an idea... After almost a year communicating with the admission officer in Barry, I am told that they would evaluate the "whole picture" instead of solely GPA. They will look into Science GPA and Nursing (or other degree) GPA, critical care experiences, chemistry subject (one semester of organic chem or biochem. as their pre-requesite), CCRN (highly recommended), GRE 1000 cut-off line.
To become more competitive, I suggest to get as much as you can. In my case, I have CCRN + CEN, 2 years of chemistry (total 18 credits unit, GPA 3.7), 6 years experience in ICU, BSN from Australia + US (GPA 3.6) - Hope this helps. Nancy
- 0Jun 18, '09 by schmandy12Hello all! I have an interview on August 3rd at Barry!! Anyone else going?? What kind of questions will be on the test? Drips? Math? Vent wean? ABGs? Sedation? Cellular level stuff? (eek) So the interview is mainly personal/job related and NOT asking questions about stuff that's on the test?? Please help me!
- 0Jun 18, '09 by Nancy C.Great to hear this good news!!! As you notice in the previous thread, I will be going to interview in July 13. I try to beat my nervousness by reviewing my CCRN Q/A, review my organic chem. etc. But definitely I will post my experiences here (or if you wish, I can email you) after that day. Congrat again for the upcoming interview.
- 0Jun 18, '09 by schmandy12Thanks!! That'd be great for the heads-up!! I was just going over some of the ccrn q/a that I found online (I don't have my CCRN since I've only been in the ICU for a little over a year). I'm really hoping they don't focus on a lot of the miniscule facts and hope it's more patient related care moves...I'm currently enrolled in a o-chem/biochem class this summer at a community college, so hopefully, I'll get some review from that as well!
Thanks for responding!!
Anyone else out there know if they focus a lot on chemistry for the interview exam??
- 0Jun 24, '09 by UNCC49erHi everyone. I wanted to give you the best picture of what the interview process at Barry University is like, since I recently found myself in your shoes. I interviewed at Barry University in April 2009. I found out three days later by e-mail that I was accepted. I went to the interview as an early acceptance interview candidate.
You will all meet and discuss the program for about 30-45 minutes. A financial aid counselor will then come and speak with you about loans for about 1 hour. After this, a brief 25 question test is administered.
1. clinical questions (very basic)
2. chemistry questions (comprised most of the test with about 15-20 questions).
--There is no way to really prepare for this test. Do not spend too much time worrying about it. I remember getting a 12/20, and I was accepted! It is more a test to see where you are at...
1. Why do you want to be a CRNA
2. Tell us about your experiences, what types of patients do you work with.
3. Why Florida/why Barry
4. Financial concerns
5. Support systems (how will you manage, do you have friends or family in the area? Do not worry if not because support system will be your fellow classmates)
These were all very basic questions. No clinical questions asked at all during the interview. The interview itself took about 5-10 minutes with two individuals.
1. BSN GPA: 3.76
2. Graduate GPA: 4.0 (I took three core masters courses at UNC Charlotte, Biostatistics, Nursing Theory, and Health Policy).
3. Critical Care Experience/Nursing Experience (10 months ICU in a Level I Trauma Hospital, 29 bed Medical ICU.
I hope this helps! Remember, relax. Do not stress out or over-study! You don't need to!!!