medsurg vs ED

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi everyone,

I'm currently finishing my LPN semester of school.. I'm working at a trauma center as a tech, and I have been for 2 years.. I'm also working on getting a job as an LPN on a medsurg floor after taking my boards this summer, trying to get some experience. My biggest question is, I have on both sides people giving loads of advice.. The ED obviously say to go work as a nurse in the ED, while the medsurg nurses advise I start on a medsurg floor..

I've already been offered jobs at both hospitals, and my end game goal is the ED, but should I start in a lower acuity setting? Or should I just go ahead and start in the ED?

Thanks guys.

Specializes in Emergency Department.

Look at both very closely. Then look at which job will provide you with the most options later. Then go with that job. I'm an ED RN and I'm not going to tell you that you should or shouldn't take an ED job, nor will I tell you to take or refuse the med/surg floor job. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Since you're an LVN (to be) and (I hope) you know how the job market is for LVNs in your area, you should just take a very close look at both jobs and what advantages/disadvantages they offer you for obtaining another job down the road, say in a year or two. Do you want to go on to become an RN? Will the schools you might attend accept job experience in the ED or on a med/surg floor? The LVN to RN programs around me just look for a year of experience working as an LVN as part of the prerequisites for the program. They don't care where you get the experience, as long as you've got it and it's direct patient care. Those are all considerations that may help you decide which job to take.

I plan on continuing through my RN, the school I'm in is an ADN program that gives you the option of taking your boards for your LPN after your 3rd semester.. I found it wise to have both a contingency plan to fall back on as well as getting some experience as a nurse while I'm going through school. My place of work has already offered me a position as an RN in the ED once I graduate.

Specializes in Emergency Department.
I plan on continuing through my RN, the school I'm in is an ADN program that gives you the option of taking your boards for your LPN after your 3rd semester.. I found it wise to have both a contingency plan to fall back on as well as getting some experience as a nurse while I'm going through school. My place of work has already offered me a position as an RN in the ED once I graduate.

That sounds like an excellent idea to have a backup plan. Would you be able to leave a med/surg job without any significant consequences once you become an RN? Do you want the ED job once you become an RN? Would you be considered "new" for Nursing Jobs upon graduation from RN school if you do take a job as an LVN? Those are additional considerations for which job you should take...

On the other hand, since it sounds like you have some jobs already lined up, including an offer from your current employer to be an ED RN once you finish RN school, that's a great problem to have... ;)

+ Add a Comment