Change to a non-nursing career...

Nurses Career Support

Published

I have been an acute care RN for two years, adult and pediatric. I have finally come to the conclusion (finally been honest with myself) that nursing is not for me. I kind of knew ever since I first started nursing school, but everybody kept telling me it would get better so I believed them. Some people are born for this career and it shows in their passion and excellence, however, I am not one of these people.

I dread going to work. I search job opportunities in every possible area I could use my RN degree/experience and nothing sparks a fire in my soul (excuse the cheesy phrase). I have found another career option I would like to pursue but getting there will require me to change my availability at my current job and maybe eventually go part-time or per diem. I have no idea how to tell my manager this without sounding like I'm completely miserable and not committed to my current job which I guess is partially true but I need to keep the job for financial reasons while I pursue a new path.

Does anyone else feel this way? Has anyone else made the career change? I know a lot of people will want me to stick it out and search around until I find a niche in nursing that I love but I would rather get out sooner rather than later after I've spent years and years of my life trying to like a career that I am not passionate about.

If you've read this whole post, thank you!! I'd love to hear your input, please be nice :)

With love.

I am in the same boat as you pretty much. I have two years of critical care/ICU bedside experience, peds and adults, and was miserable after awhile. I knew bedside was not for me and found two job opportunities. I am torn on which one to choose because I am a newer nurse and not sure which one has better job opportunities/openings if I had to move states in a year or two (which I may have to) or moved companies. I was honest with my boss. I told her that I loved the hospital and my unit, however I felt that bedside was not suitable for me and I would want my patients to have 100%. For you I would maybe say that you want to explore this area (not sure what your new job is) of nursing but that you love your unit/hospital and would like to stay on as per diem. Your manager will want to keep you on instead of having to hire someone new most likely. This way it shows you are still dedicated to your current job. Managers should understand that we have a flexible schedule which gives us the opportunity to explore other areas of nursing as well.

Thanks for your response! I have actually decided to pursue something completely different, leaving the nursing field. I don't want to say what just because it's definitely someting with supposed less job stability and I don't want the thread to be distracted by that. I have decided to enroll in a community college to learn the skills I need for the new career which would mean class two days a week. This is what I feel nervous to tell my management. I feel weird telling them I am pursuing something so totally different and I'm worried they won't want to give me the flexibility of requesting off those two days every week during the school year. I've spoken with a couple friends and they think I am overthinking and that I am an adult and allowed to have other interests which I know is true, I'm just afraid of the reaction I might get.

+ Add a Comment