Should I just give up on this job?

Nurses Career Support

Published

New grad here searching for first nursing job! I Interviewed for a position that would be a great opportunity and was told by the interviewer to think about whether I thought it would be a good fit and to let her know. She even gave me her personal phone number so I could text her when I made my decision as she would be on vacation. I decided I wanted it and texted her about a week after the interview. Having not received a response, I called her office phone after she said her vacation would be over and left a voice mail because I assumed she had forgotten during her vacation. I did not receive a call back so I waited until I had passed my nclex and called again to let her know that I could be hired immediately. Again, no answer so I left another voice mail. It is now 3 days after that last voice mail and no response. Maybe she is not getting my messages or doesn't check her voice mail? I am considering texting her again in hopes that I can get a response. Like I said, this is a great opportunity that I really want, but don't want to be too pushy and also not sure if I should be trying to get a job here if I can't even get a response. Any thoughts on what I should do?

New grad here searching for first nursing job! I Interviewed for a position that would be a great opportunity and was told by the interviewer to think about whether I thought it would be a good fit and to let her know. She even gave me her personal phone number so I could text her when I made my decision as she would be on vacation. I decided I wanted it and texted her about a week after the interview...

I'm not sure over what time frame you've left these voice messages, but if you are sure that she has returned from vacation, I think it likely that she has moved on to another applicant. You might consider contacting her again, but "about a week" is a long time to take in replying to a job offer.

Best wishes in your Job Search.

Specializes in Adult MICU/SICU.

I don't want to falsely get your hopes up, but I have been surprised how long the wheels of motion take in matters of hiring. In terms of reasonable time frames, I have personally seen things take entirely too long - so long in fact that

once or twice I thought they either forgot about me, or changed their mind. This aspect of the hiring process can be frustrating, but HR can move like a glacier: slow and methodical.

Something like this just happened to my husband, he himself still a fairly new grad: he worried and moped and stressed, and once he had nearly given up he received a text message from HR. Gah!

Chare may be right - it may be likely that she has moved on to another applicant, but if you wanted to make one last attempt to reach out to her waiting a week to do it is way too long.

If it were me, I would write her a short letter reiterating that you are very much interested in the position, and would like the opportunity to discuss it with her at her earliest convenience. Short, sweet and politely professional.

A letter says you took the time the show how much you really want to work there, and to be considered for the job. It also shows you are persistent, and serious. Another thing to consider is a letter also stands out more in someone's mind than a voicemail.

Even if she filled that position already, others open up all the time - you may get lucky with your timing if that is the case.

Show that recruiter you mean business. Good luck!

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

If it has been more than two weeks since she returned from vacation this is likely dead in the water. I suggest an email instead of a phone call to make it easier for her to respond to you. If you hear nothing back after one more attempt, you need to mentally move on.

+ Add a Comment