Samuel Merritt University ABSN Summer 2018

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

I wanted to start this discussion for all applicants of the ABSN Summer 2018 cohorts at Samuel Merritt University. Please feel free to share your thoughts so we can support each other!

We're you on a waitlist for the June cohort? How did SMU notify you? I only got an official email with from SMU, then just regular email from Derric that I moved.

We're you #13 since the initial notice? Getting anxious ;(

What # are you? Goodluck to all of us!!! I already talked to my employer about my plan so they can start recruiting for my replacement (just in case I get in) lol

We're you on a waitlist for the June cohort? How did SMU notify you? I only got an official email with from SMU, then just regular email from Derric that I moved.

When did you get an update? It was a little weird for me because I never received any initial notice that I was waitlisted...I had to reach out and then they told me I was #5. I haven't got any update since.

Got the initial notice Feb 5th.

Long story, SMU initially sent me a denial stating I did not get in due to low test score on my HESI. I responded immediately and emailed Derric to have the school re-review my application since I took HESI twice. I emailed back with my HESI Scores 84% Science, 88% English Language, and 98% Math. He said he had to discuss their error with the director and chair of the program. It took a month for me to get an answer and after numerous emails requesting an update -he responds that I'm on the waitlist #13 :( and it hasn't moved since.

What's the SMURF User Name and Password?

I created my SMU Total Access, and SMU Portal Account. I tried same login, but did not work.

Specializes in Medical Device.

Hello Samuel Merritt Oakland ABSN students! How was the program?? Are you almost done? What was it like? I would like to apply but I'm afraid it's going to be too intense with two young kids. But... I also hear it's not that different from doing a regular program (where I would have to take 15 more units and one more semester). AND IT'S ONLY A YEAR! I sort of feel like I can figure it out for a year instead of dragging school out for two and half years. TIA for your insights!

2 hours ago, MamaMagic said:

Hello Samuel Merritt Oakland ABSN students! How was the program?? Are you almost done? What was it like? I would like to apply but I'm afraid it's going to be too intense with two young kids. But... I also hear it's not that different from doing a regular program (where I would have to take 15 more units and one more semester). AND IT'S ONLY A YEAR! I sort of feel like I can figure it out for a year instead of dragging school out for two and half years. TIA for your insights!

Hey MamaMagic, I’m from the April 2019 cohort so I’m done in just a couple weeks! I personally don’t have children, but there were two people in my cohort with kids ages 6/7 and under, and they’re both graduating with me in May! Your schedule is definitely at the mercy of SMU, and (at least on the San Mateo campus) we were sometimes given less than 24 hours notice before we were required to be somewhere. So I would say you definitely need to have a plan for child care or family members that are willing to help out on such short notice. Also at my orientation, a student spoke about how she began the program with a 2 month old baby! So I always told myself that if SHE can do it, anyone can!!! I think it is definitely doable, and you only have to survive the one year!!! But again I don’t have kids so I can’t speak from experience. Good luck!! :)

Specializes in Medical Device.

Hi Autumn! Thank you so much! How would you compare the difficulty of the classes compared to the science prerequisites? How much studying do you think you generally need to do outside of class? Congrats on being almost done!

Specializes in ICU.
On 4/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, MamaMagic said:

Hi Autumn! Thank you so much! How would you compare the difficulty of the classes compared to the science prerequisites? How much studying do you think you generally need to do outside of class? Congrats on being almost done!

It’s definitely more fast-paced so you’ll go through multiple chapters a week. However, that doesn’t mean you’ll have to read every single chapter! I usually studied the lecture powerpoints and would reference the books if I wasn’t sure about something. I spent a lot of time studying (I don’t have kids) but I was still able to hang out with my family and friends and find time for some self-care! There were many people in my cohort who had kids and although it was difficult, they were able to find a way to do it all. I’m honestly amazed at how they were able to manage it but you can definitely do it if you can figure out some arrangement with your family! Good luck!

+ Add a Comment