Experience with Applying for License with Criminal Record

Nurses Criminal

Published

Hi I am looking for those who have experience with applying for a nursing license with a criminal record to share their experience on what it took to receive your license. I will be applying for mine with a 6 year old misdemeanor drug paraphernalia reduced to littering and one 6 year old felony arrest in which all charges were dropped and there was no conviction. I have read the Board of Nursing's Q&A on this topic but am looking to hear some success stories from other nurses. Thank you!

I've gone through this situation twice, once with the LVN board and more recently with my state's RN board. I was charged with a misdemeanor that was about 4 years old when I applied for my LVN license and 6 years old when I applied for my RN. It can be done.

When nursing students finish school and apply for their license the board decides on whether to grant licensure on an individual case-by-case basis. From what I've been told they take into account what the infraction was, how much time has passed since the infraction, and what you have done to improve and move past that mistake. When I applied for both of those licenses I wrote each board a letter describing the event and explaining what I've done to improve myself and ensure that I would never repeat the mistake again. But I got through it, obtained both licenses, found work as an LVN, and now have found work as an RN at a local hospital.

But all of this really just depends on your state's BON. Good luck and keep your head up!

Thank you for your response! I have been looking to find someone who has been through a similar situation to know that it is possible. If you don't mind sharing did you have to submit additional documents in addition to your letter you wrote (references, court documents, etc.)

+ Add a Comment