Being called a baby nurse

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Just wondering, what do you all think constitutes someone being a "baby nurse"? I get offended when I am called this and don't really care for the term.

I was an LPN for 6 years and have been an RN now for almost a year, for a total of about 7 years as a nurse. When speaking with other RNs at work, I got referred to as a baby nurse yesterday and found it offensive. I was getting report from a nurse who has been an RN for 5 years who was complaining about a patient. I said that the patient didn't bother me and I didn't mind that she called often to be toilette. The other nurse said "that's because you're still a baby nurse. Give it time and you will."

Anyway, just wondering if you would find this offensive. Also wondering if RNs in general overlook the years of experience of an LPN? Would you consider me a baby nurse still?

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.
Just wondering, what do you all think constitutes someone being a "baby nurse"? I get offended when I am called this and don't really care for the term.

Anyway, just wondering if you would find this offensive. Also wondering if RNs in general overlook the years of experience of an LPN? Would you consider me a baby nurse still?

Depends. If I were working in L&D, postpartum, nursery or a NICU, I would say that it would be a rather tounge-in-cheek (though accurate) job description.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Are you serious??? Do you actually equate a flippant remark with bullying?

Well, ya know, anything that might make me feel bad MUST be bullying.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Her comments that reflect the compassion fatigue she is experiencing say much more about her than you. Also, 5 years of practice does not make her so very experienced herself. It isn't the term "baby nurse" itself that is offensive. It is her lack of respect for patients and bullying of co-workers that is offensive. Call her on it.

And yup, we've gone there. A flippant remark is now regarded as bullying.

Personally, I think the remark may have had a lot to do with the fact that the other nurse was venting and the OP got all holier than thou on her.

Specializes in ICU; Telephone Triage Nurse.

What I find interesting in situations like this is coworker's like that are the first to cry if they feel slighted in any way. It's just an attempt to make you feel less than you really are.

Consider the source, then blow it off as unworthy of your attention.

And as far as experience in nursing goes - there is always more to learn. No matter how many years you have under your belt I promise you none of us will retire knowing everything there is to know about nursing.

+ Add a Comment