Told to fake vital signs

Specialties Geriatric

Published

This question is for LTC nurses: I took a summer CNA job at a local nursing home that is chronically understaffed and has no equipment for taking vital signs. Maybe there was once an oximeter but nobody knows where it is. The nurse gave me a list of residents to get vital signs on and no equipment to do so. When I pointed out that there was no equipment, I told "the other aides do it- make it happen". Turns out the other aides just write down numbers and don't actually take vital signs. I've worked in some real crappy SNFs before but never have I been asked to fake vital signs. As a nurse, wouldn't that worry you that your aides are blatantly lying to you? Is this common?? Some of the aides have bought their own equipment but for the pennies they are paying me I can't afford that. I'm told asking management for equipment is a losing battle.

"Report...report...report..."

The OP mentions that she lives in a small town, and it seems she does not plan to move until she becomes a RN. She probably cannot afford to be a martyr right now. Though, if she can, she should look for another job.

Side note: There is no such thing as "anonymous" reporting. Though illegal, whistle-blowers and their families face retaliation that can last for years.

Why do you say there is no way to report anonymously? Can you give some proof of this? Thanks.

IN OP"s case, since she has already gone to the DON about this particular topic, she probably can't be anonymously - unless there are other staff she knows to have talked to the DON or other Administrators/Executives. But generally, I think we can report anonymously. Get a throw-away phone, wear gloves to not get your fingerprints on a letter you send. Don't lick the envelope seal or stamp. Mail it from far away from where you live and work.

Why do you say there is no way to report anonymously? Can you give some proof of this? Thanks.

IN OP"s case, since she has already gone to the DON about this particular topic, she probably can't be anonymously - unless there are other staff she knows to have talked to the DON or other Administrators/Executives. But generally, I think we can report anonymously. Get a throw-away phone, wear gloves to not get your fingerprints on a letter you send. Don't lick the envelope seal or stamp. Mail it from far away from where you live and work.

When you call, your voice can be recorded.

Wear gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints? Nice idea but there are other ways to track a letter back to the source nowadays. Just watch "Forensic Files."

Mail it far away? If the accused is determined enough, they can find out who (i.e. connected to them and knows what they did) visited the area where the letter was collected.

Any other ideas?

I'm an LPN that's worked in a nursing home. Yeah, it was hard to find equipment. I bought my own pulse oximeter and thermometer and let CNAs borrow them until both disappeared. Now my new ones don't get lent out, I'm not made of money either.

We can tell when vitals are faked. Yes I'd rather have someone tell me they can't take vitals instead of making them up. Some of the vitals are doctor orders, they need particular residents monitored for a specific reason. The nurse is the one that has to update the MD with results and we get ripped a new one when doctor's orders don't get followed. But fake vitals do not help the residents and it's a waste of your time in my opinion.

Let your nurse, DON, and administrator know there is no equipment. Our scheduler ordered supplies and if I needed someone to put pressure on her I let everyone know if I wasn't getting something I needed. Leave notes if you have to with your name and the date, make copies for everyone so they all know.

We had more than one wing so sometimes CNAs would make trips to track down equipment. It's hard to find time to do that, but it might be worth it in the meantime.

Good luck!

Either I or some other aide would be blamed for the call. Still. Thinking

Specializes in LTC Rehab Med/Surg.
Do what you're told soldier and "make it happen."

That is so funny. Of course at 0230 everything's funny.

I had an image of General Patton when I read it.

Specializes in LTC Rehab Med/Surg.
Either I or some other aide would be blamed for the call. Still. Thinking

Never make a complaint without expecting to get caught. Take it from somebody who's a slow learner. You will get caught. They will know it's you. The sorry truth of the matter is that once you make that call, you will suffer more than anybody else. Consider the worst thing that your employer can do to you, and then expect it to happen.

Good luck.

+ Add a Comment