If you could do it all over again, what specialty would you choose

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Just learned today in class that 1/3 of nurses burnout by the end of their second year. Now, I am genuinely terrified.

so I'm asking, if you could do it all over again, knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?

Specializes in FNP: Urgent Care & Primary Care; RN: Med-Surg.

I would still have become a nurse. It is what I am meant for. As far as specialties I was just medical-surgical and did enjoy it before my NP-C. However, I did enjoy ER nursing when they were short. Upon graduating I really wanted to be an L&D nurse. I guess I would like to try that out full time. I still miss bedside nursing.

Specializes in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.

I'm a year and a half in as a telemetry nurse. I'm not really "burned out" per say. More like I want to do something else. Everything is pretty much routine for the most part. Go to work, give meds, maybe do a few critical thinking things here and there, do some calls out to docs, leave work, rinse and repeat x2 more times. Definitely wanting to look into non-bedside nursing (more like teaching or clinic; definitely not into HH/Hospice/LTAC) on the side, but can't seem to find any openings per diem/part time (which is probably why)

so what would you have done differently if you could do it all over again?

+ Add a Comment