Leaving 1st RN Job after 4 months - HELP

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello Allnurses!

I wanted to ask your opinion on my current situation regarding leaving my very first nursing job after only 4-5 months of employment. I have outlined my questions at the bottom of this post so it's very clear what I am asking.

After I received my licensure, I had a very hard time finding a job. I looked for months but kept getting rejected because I was not a right fit, the hospitals were not looking to hire a New Grad at this time, or there were other internal employees who were prioritized over me. As a result, I ended up interviewing at a Postpartum unit, received a job offer, and accepted all in the same day. However, I knew I was not currently interested in postpartum and wanted to work in other floors before eventually moving to this specialty later on in my career.

Fast forward four months and I have received and accepted a job offer for a unit that I am very interested in at a nearby rival hospital. I understand that my record with my current hospitals will most likely include a "Do not re-hire" note because I am leaving so abruptly. I am also leaving after my nurse manager and shift charge nurse have worked so hard to allow me to travel overseas to see family for 3 weeks despite just barely having enough PTO time to make it happen.

The questions I have for all of you are the following:

1. Would I have a better chance of not having a "Do not re-hire" note if I offer to stay per diem at my current job while working at my new job? Is is a good idea to offer or even stay?

2. When I talk to my manager and charge nurse about leaving, I am going to say "Due to the stress and pressure my current job is causing to my family, I will not longer be able to stay full time." I am debating if I should tell them I have already accepted a position at another hospital at this time or wait for some time to pass, almost giving the impression that I am currently looking for another position. While this story is partially true, it's not the whole truth. What do you think about this story and what kind of push-back might I receive from my manager and charge nurse?

3. What else can I do to leave my current job on good, professional terms so that I do not burn this bridge with a hospital that employed me even before I became a nurse and gave me so many great opportunities?

Thank you so much for any feedback anyone can provide! I greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

New.RN2016

3. What else can I do to leave my current job on good, professional terms so that I do not burn this bridge with a hospital that employed me even before I became a nurse and gave me so many great opportunities?

Thank you so much for any feedback anyone can provide! I greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

New.RN2016

Nothing. You're leaving a coveted position barely out of orientation after they went to bat to give you an extended vacation that you had not earned. Lying about it won't help. Nursing is a much smaller world than most people think. The only thing you can do is give proper notice, thank them for everything they've done for you and take your leave knowing that you have torpedoed your reputation at that hospital and pray that the new position works out.

Wow, so many new grads would kill to work in postpartum.

In this situation - actually, in just about any situation leaving a job - give a brief, generic, appropriately-timed written notice...."I am resigning my position as (job title) effective (date). I have appreciated the opportunity to work with the team here. Sincerely, me."

Absolutely no benefit in making up reasons or giving long explanations - it's not going to help. They'll be angry, and it'll be an uncomfortable conversation, and they probably will mark you as not eligible for re-hire. There's nothing magical you can say, given the situation.

Make sure you're 100% sure about the new job, because you're not going to be able to switch again for a while. If the new job is what you want, you just have to accept the consequences and get through that unpleasant conversation.

(I was in your position a couple years ago, and I don't regret changing jobs....but, I certainly understood the manager's anger, so I sat there and took it and was glad when it was over! I'm still in the job that I left for)

Lighten up, it want be your last time nor is it the first. You will be fine, don't be bullied. Yes tell them thanks, and move on, better you get out now than do something stupid later. If it doesn't work for you leave. I understand your not cut throat and obviously you found out just how mean people can be. Im praying for more men to balance out the crazy in nursing. Do what is right do your notice, not that it will matter if they want to be mean about it they will, it nursing...... my advise 1. Don't worry about it you will get a better job 2. Hold your head up 3. Don't work nursing stress maybe Dr. office is better. You will be fine. Run cus that same manager will tell you after she knew you expressed how stressful the job was and she encourage you to stay to keep a body in place. After you've made the mistake she will look you dead in the eye and say.....WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME YOU WERE STRESSED!!!! lol gotta love nursing.

+ Add a Comment