Need advice/ guidance for my educational advancement of Nursing.

Nurses Career Support

Published

I will be perusing an advanced degree in nursing from BSN to ….? I My initial thoughts upon entering the BNS program was be to continue for the Advanced Practice RN FNP. With my experience level and growth, I have decided bedside and direct patient care is no longer my passion. I am very interested in improving my community, the healthcare infrastructure and access to health. I have pondered the idea of Nurse Scientist PhD in research (1st choice) and MSN in Public/Community Health. Both degrees will fulfill my need to make my community stronger and healthier. I am struggling with the logistics each degree has and will offer over time, the pay for my efforts, and job placement after graduation. I will be interviewing the local community/public health and research educators in the area for additional considerations not currently apparent to me.

Specializes in Peds, Med-Surg, Disaster Nsg, Parish Nsg.
Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.
I will be perusing an advanced degree in nursing from BSN to ….? I My initial thoughts upon entering the BNS program was be to continue for the Advanced Practice RN FNP. With my experience level and growth, I have decided bedside and direct patient care is no longer my passion. I am very interested in improving my community, the healthcare infrastructure and access to health. I have pondered the idea of Nurse Scientist PhD in research (1st choice) and MSN in Public/Community Health. Both degrees will fulfill my need to make my community stronger and healthier. I am struggling with the logistics each degree has and will offer over time, the pay for my efforts, and job placement after graduation. I will be interviewing the local community/public health and research educators in the area for additional considerations not currently apparent to me.

Your focus is so timely, since predictions are that more and more health care is going to be provided in the community. An MPH prepares you for leadership in public health, such as healthcare policy and access.

Here's a list of top programs:

7 Best Masters in Public Health Degrees for Nurses | 2

Specializes in Critical Care, Education.

Ditto on recommendation for MSN in Public Health. No matter what happens to health care in the US, this is going to be an ongoing need. I would urge caution about shooting for a "research" career. Unless you go into academia, funding for these jobs is mostly dependent on grants. I don't know about you, but I couldn't do without the security of my day job & the benefits it provides. Applied research is part of most higher-level Nursing Jobs because we have to ensure that decisions, especially those that involve funding, are evidence-based.

Congratulations on achieving your BSN. Most newly licensed nurses share your disenchantment with direct care... it's much more difficult and less rewarding than they anticipate. (Wait, hang on . . . aren't we supposed to be angels of mercy adored by all??) With experience and full competency, you may discover a greater affinity for the role. I can assure you, that the rewards from direct patient contact cannot be found in nursing roles that are farther from the bedside.

+ Add a Comment