Stressed out! Wanting to move to NC and idk what to do!

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hey all,

I'm planning on relocating to the Raleigh, NC area after graduation. I already applied to UNC Rex, WakeMed, duke raleigh, and a hospital in Sanford. I have not heard ANYTHING and I'm freaking out. I was thinking it was maybe because they'd rather take students from NC as I'm from NW Indiana (hour from Chicago). I have a really good GPA (3.948), really amazing clinical experiences including hospitals in Chicago and am super involved with organizations in school including Sigma Theta Tau. I'm also nominated for two huge senior awards. I have been told these spots are competitive and I just feel crazy inadequate right now. I may give up my dream of relocating :(((

Specializes in PACU.

Duke University Hospital just started going through their applications from the January posting. They use a matrix that assigns you points based on working in the health system, BSN vs. ADN vs. Diploma, whether you worked as an NA, did clinicals in the health system, etc. HOWEVER, they tend to higher a lot of out of state applicants, as well. Depending on the points the system awards you, you will be (or not be) offered an invitation to interview. However, different specialties hire at different times. ICU units just started finishing up their first-round interviewing. Peds doesn't interview until like March.

Which specialties have you been applying to? I just received a request to interview at the WakeMed adult ED, but found out that over 100 applications applied for ONE position in the children's ED.

UNC Rex is super hard to get into. UNC main takes FOREVER to go over their applications. Someone in another thread said HR told them the process would take 2-4 months.

Egesse

30 Posts

For Duke, I completed the general new grad position and survey. For WakeMed, I applied to surgery/trauma, med surg, picu, nicu, and peds 4E. Yeah I'm giving up on UNC Rex. Thank you for the info! It calms my nerves. I haven't applied to UNC Chapel Hill yet (the app only opens 4 days a month). I know it's super competitive there but I know a girl who works in the NICU who has been giving me advice. Are you receiving requests over the phone or via email?

Specializes in PACU.

Duke (including Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional, and Duke Raleigh) seem to do most of their contact through emails. I know that all my interviews with big Duke, DRH, and Duke Raleigh were coordinated through email. They also have a new graduate open house hiring event for the WHOLE system (all 3 hospitals, primary care, hospice, and others) on March 15th which they will probably be doing interviews as well. I know Indiana is far and away from NC but it wouldn't hurt to apply to the opening once they post it :) Worst case you have to let them know you can't make it and can hopefully make arrangements for a phone interview.

We pretty much applied for all the same positions at WakeMed (except for med surg). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or rhythm to how the go through applications. My application for Adult ED, Children's ED, and PACU were forwarded to the hiring manager on like February 5th, and I JUST got the phone call for ED yesterday. They get A LOT of applications for their peds positions supposedly (like I said earlier, 100 applications for the ped ED to the point they had to remove the listing they got so many), so it could take them longer to go through them.

Egesse

30 Posts

They just posted the picu and nicu I believe in the 21st and I just applied a couple days ago. Do you have any more information or a link to the new graduate open house? That's during my spring break so I could definitely swing a trip! :)

Specializes in PACU.

Duke University Health System Open House | DukeNursing.org is the website for the hiring even in March. Go ahead an sign-up for the open house, and just keep checking back for the job posting related to the open house. They should be posting it soon. I signed-up for the open house the other day, and yesterday I got an email from the nurse recruiter for the PACU asking me if I wanted to talk to her about my interest in the PACU (since my Duke application listed my interest in PACU) and to send her my resume. It shouldn't hurt to sign-up now :)

Also, if you're feeling REALLY brave, they list all the nurse recruiters on the dukenursing.org page (Meet the Recruiters | DukeNursing.org) and you can try shooting them an email. All Duke emails are usually [email protected]. I know quite a few classmates that have directly gone to the recruiter (or nurse manager if they can track down who it is) and been able to get them to at least forward their resume on.

CrunchRN, ADN, RN

4,530 Posts

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health.

I have had to move several times. Never got job offers until I had a local address.

+ Add a Comment