Oncology or Med/tele?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

I have been offered two positions. One is for a smaller hospital in a 20 bed Oncology/Palliative Care Unit. It is close to home and the manager discussed movement within facility if it's not the best fit for me. The other is a med/tele/PCU unit in a private hospital. Further from home and movement within system is possible but wasn't discussed as much by manager during interview. Pay is similar. I am interested in oncology but more on the pediatric side. I am also very interested in the critical care side of nursing particularly pediatric ICU or NICU and maybe ICU/ER. Which job would get me a solid foundation as a new grad nurse to move into critical care? Which will get me to where I ultimately want to be easiest?

Specializes in Progressive Care.

Congrats on the two job offers! That is awesome!

I think the reason you have so many views and no responses until now is that it's hard to tell from your post what your career goals are. If you're really interested in oncology, even pediatric oncology, then of course it would make sense to take the oncology job. If you want to move into critical care one day then the tele job would give you a better foundation. Just because movement within the organization wasn't discussed doesn't mean it's not possible.

There's also more to consider like the driving distance, which could be a big deal for some people but not others. Personally I wouldn't want to drive more than 30 mins to work but some of my co-workers drive an hour and don't mind.

You also know the feeling you got from the different managers and the different hospitals. This is somewhere you will be spending 40+ hours a week so it might be good to go with your gut.

I find it helpful to make a pros and cons list for each of the two options. Makes it easier to see which way your heart is leaning. Maybe have a family member or friend takes a look at your lists because sometimes it's easier for someone else to see it.

Best of luck!

Specializes in Ambulatory Case Management, Clinic, Psychiatry.

do you like smaller facilities? how much closer is it to home?

med/tele/pcu would probably make the transition to icu easier, but that alone doesn't mean you should take it

I don't know if I like smaller facilities. I know I like busy though. The med/tele is about 40 minutes away while the oncology is 15 minutes away. I do see myself transitioning into critical care so I am just looking for experience right now.

Specializes in Ambulatory Case Management, Clinic, Psychiatry.

have you had a chance to tour the unit? what are the staffing ratios like? how many beds in the pcu?

for critical care, you will need tele skills - is there tele on the onc/palliative care floor?

how do you feel about oncology/palliative care? very different than cardiac

I have toured the units. Both have very similar feels with onc being a lot smaller. The patient ratios are 4:1 at both locations. The PCU is 10 beds. I do not think there is any tele on onc/palliative. I like onc but don't know if that is where my passion lies. I feel interested but critical care seems to have my pull right now.

Based on your last two responses it sounds like the PCU might be more in line with your career goals unless the commute is an issue.

Based on your last two responses it sounds like the PCU might be more in line with your career goals unless the commute is an issue.

+ Add a Comment