I'm not sure what route to take next? I feel lost.

Nurses Career Support

Published

I graduated from an associates RN program this past spring. I have started my BSN program this fall semester. I will haven the option to replace some of my BSN courses with General Nursing MSN courses in the spring semester. I originally thought I was headed in the right direction - get my BSN quickly and get the general entry MSN courses out of the way. Have a year off of school and just focus of my RN job. (The NP program requires at least 2 years of RN experience for admission). Then start the NP program. I began researching NPs. I'm not sure if there is a high enough demand for them. Also hospital positions state NP / PA...I'm not sure how that works or what that is exactly. If anything I'm now really confused. Also if anyone has experience, what is the NP school coursework like...I read a few articles that scared the life out of me. Some said it was way harder than Nursing school. I understand it would be hard but as long as it is manageable and I could still work at least part time. The reason I want to advance my career is because I know I cannot handle the physical aspects of being an RN forever and for financial support for my family. If anyone has any other career suggestions, they are welcome. I don't want to jump into the MSN courses next semester if I'm not going to end up becoming an NP. I appreciate any help and guidance, and someone to explain the whole NP / PA thing - like is there more education involved?

Specializes in Critical Care, Education.

Those jobs that have "NP / PA" mean that they will accept applications from either an NP or physician's assistant. My organization employs a lot of NPs in both ambulatory and acute care jobs. The ones in acute care MUST have appropriate "Acute Care" credentials.... so FNPs have to obtain additional education in order to qualify. The ambulatory care NPs are employed in clinics... pretty mundane and potentially boring jobs.

It would seem that you may be under the impression that the only type of MSN is an NP... this is not the case. There are many other choices when it comes to advancing your career. I tend to agree with you about job prospects for NPs. The number of programs (and graduates) has increased dramatically. It remains to be seen if there will actually be a sufficient number of jobs.

I would recommend that you go ahead and get your career launched & take the time to become familiar with all of the 'higher level' Nursing Jobs that are out there. You may find that your true calling is healthcare informatics, Quality/Patient Safety, Clinical Risk Management, Case Management or ??? These are only some of the focus areas for MSN programs. Talk to nurses who have those interesting jobs and find out what qualifications you will need.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my MSN program (Critical Care, CNS & Education) was actually a lot easier than my BSN. It was a lot shorter, credit-wise. Classes only met once a week. Professors treated us like colleagues. The courses were all interesting and relevant to my own career goals. The hardest part was Thesis... but in the long run, that even proved to be very valuable because it gave me a head start for my doctoral studies.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I totally agree with HouTx on this. It seems to me that you don't know enough about nursing careers yet to make an informed decision. Also, as a new nurse, you don't know "yourself as a nurse" yet. How it feels to be a competent nurse, which aspects of nursing you like most, dislike the most, have a talent for, have no talent for, etc. You have to actually BE a nurse for a bit to know those things.

Take some time and get a better feel for the profession -- and all the many career paths available -- before you jump into anything.

Thank you both llg and houtx! You both provided excellent suggestions ... I feel like I now have a rough blueprint to follow. :)

Specializes in PICU, Pediatrics, Trauma.
Thank you both llg and houtx! You both provided excellent suggestions ... I feel like I now have a rough blueprint to follow. :)

For what it's worth, I fully agree with both the answers. Not sure what else could even be said that would have value for you.

+ Add a Comment