had an interview, got the job offer, now what?Register Today!
- by schoolnursejennie May 7, '12so i had an interview at a children's psychiatric hospital run by new york state. in short, the interview went great, i was offered the full-time position exactly a week later, and have never heard back.
the initial call took place on 4/20 and she said "i'm going to call you back next week once i talk to HR to find out if it is a day or evening position." i was so happy because i'm really sick of being a school nurse and was really excited about this opportunity. working for the state seemed like a great idea because the salary is decent and the benefits are awesome. i also want to get into psychiatry because i am planning on becoming a psych NP.
anyway, long story short, this director of nursing never called me back. it has now been 2 weeks since her initial call. i called back last tuesday to "follow up" and left a message and never got a call back.
what are your opinions on this? is this just the state being the state and taking their sweet time? or did it fall through and should i give up hope? i just find it to be incredibly bizarre because i was OFFERED THE JOB!!!! at least have your secretary send me an email to tell me to forget it. how unprofessional and rude.
- May 7, '12 by MerlynGive her a call.
- May 7, '12 by cally527I would call again. Government positions usually are slow.... lots of bureaucratic red tape etc.
- May 7, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNIt's a little odd that she offered you a position without knowing if it was days or nights. I'd call her again tomorrow and if you don't hear back by Friday, go in in person.
- May 8, '12 by elkparkIt's certainly true that government bureaucracies often move v. slowly, but I don't see how the person could have actually, formally offered you the position without telling you specifically what shift, pay rate, etc., you are being offered. I have a feeling you have not actually been offered the job yet, although she may have been v. positive about your prospects in the interview.
- May 8, '12 by schoolnursejennieI agree that it was very strange but I basically chalked it up to the state being the state. I called last Tuesday and left a message for her. Do you think it's being too pushy and/or desperate to call again? Maybe I should email her secretary. I'm so disappointed!! I'm starting to think that she went to hr to file all the paperwork and something fell through with funding, etc. ugh!!!
- May 8, '12 by schoolnursejennieI did and she never called back. I don't want to start harassing her.
- May 9, '12 by sandanrnstudentcongratulations!
- May 10, '12 by elkparkCongratulations! Welcome to child psych! I hope this will be a great experience for you.