had an interview, got the job offer, now what?Register Today!
This is a discussion on had an interview, got the job offer, now what? in Psychiatric Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... so i had an interview at a children's psychiatric hospital run by new york state. in short, the...by schoolnursejennie May 7, '12so i had an interview at a children's psychiatric hospital run by new york state. in short, the interview went great, i was offered the full-time position exactly a week later, and have never heard back.
the initial call took place on 4/20 and she said "i'm going to call you back next week once i talk to HR to find out if it is a day or evening position." i was so happy because i'm really sick of being a school nurse and was really excited about this opportunity. working for the state seemed like a great idea because the salary is decent and the benefits are awesome. i also want to get into psychiatry because i am planning on becoming a psych NP.
anyway, long story short, this director of nursing never called me back. it has now been 2 weeks since her initial call. i called back last tuesday to "follow up" and left a message and never got a call back.
what are your opinions on this? is this just the state being the state and taking their sweet time? or did it fall through and should i give up hope? i just find it to be incredibly bizarre because i was OFFERED THE JOB!!!! at least have your secretary send me an email to tell me to forget it. how unprofessional and rude.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=707474©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,732 Views
- May 7, '12 by MerlynGive her a call.
- May 7, '12 by cally527I would call again. Government positions usually are slow.... lots of bureaucratic red tape etc.
- May 7, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNIt's a little odd that she offered you a position without knowing if it was days or nights. I'd call her again tomorrow and if you don't hear back by Friday, go in in person.
- May 8, '12 by elkparkIt's certainly true that government bureaucracies often move v. slowly, but I don't see how the person could have actually, formally offered you the position without telling you specifically what shift, pay rate, etc., you are being offered. I have a feeling you have not actually been offered the job yet, although she may have been v. positive about your prospects in the interview.
- May 8, '12 by schoolnursejennieI agree that it was very strange but I basically chalked it up to the state being the state. I called last Tuesday and left a message for her. Do you think it's being too pushy and/or desperate to call again? Maybe I should email her secretary. I'm so disappointed!! I'm starting to think that she went to hr to file all the paperwork and something fell through with funding, etc. ugh!!!
- May 8, '12 by schoolnursejennieI did and she never called back. I don't want to start harassing her.
- May 9, '12 by schoolnursejenniewoohooo...she finally called back and said there was "an HR snafu." i start on may 24
- May 9, '12 by sandanrnstudentcongratulations!
- May 10, '12 by elkparkCongratulations! Welcome to child psych! I hope this will be a great experience for you.