Class WithdrawsRegister Today!
- by RNOrchid Jan 2, '12Hi,
This is my first post on this site and I'm happy I found this site!
I'm currently attending Broward College and I'm scheduled to graduate this coming term with my A.A. After getting my A.A. I'm planning to apply to a nursing program. I'm thinking about FAU and FIU. I know BC has an RN program but I haven't had the best experience as a student; mostly because of how students are treated and I want to do a BSN right away.
Anyways my questions to those who have applied to any nursing school in Florida......Do schools look at the amount of classes that have been withdrawn? Does that affect chances of being accepted? I have a about 4 classes that I had to withdraw from during my time in BC because I was working full time and took on too much. My GPA pretty high but this worries me.
- Jan 3, '12 by NSGstudent12My college only looks at your gpa from your pre-reqs, but I'm sure every college is different. I had a few classes back when I was younger that I failed that had nothing to do with nursing and I still got in. It's prob the same with withdraws. Good luck!
- Jan 3, '12 by ♑ Capricorn ♑Quote from RNOrchidI'm not positive on this. But, I don't think withdrawls should affect an acceptance unless maybe it was a 'WF' withdrawl-failing. But, just a 'W', I don't see how that would affect it. If your grades are good and you're doing everything you need to do, you should be fine. If it really concerns you, you can always ask your school about it. No harm in asking them.Do schools look at the amount of classes that have been withdrawn? Does that affect chances of being accepted?
I've had previous withdrawls on my transcripts and it hasn't affected my acceptance into nursing school. Life happens and sometimes we gotta do, what we gotta do.
Good luck to you.
- Jan 7, '12 by RNOrchidThanks for the replies.
I just have regular W's no F's, but I just hear so many people say how hard getting into a nursing program is in South Florida! I'm currently working very hard to keep my pre-req's gpa as perfect as possible.
It seems like I'm questioning every little thing now that I'm getting close to applying to a nursing program! I have my heart set on FAU so I'm crossing my fingers
- Jan 7, '12 by caliotter3Some schools take W's into consideration, others do not. It is a matter of policy as are many other aspects of the admissions process. I would not lose sleep over this because there certainly is nothing you can do about it now. You might want to concentrate on programs where you know you will have a better chance. Good luck.
- Jan 8, '12 by leandritoHey seems like we are going to be in the same fight in order to get in FIU if you check the page they dont say it.. but i remember that someone told me that they do not accept W's just in case call them and ask the question.. present your case and see what feedback they give you base on it.. check what you need for FIU..http://cnhs.fiu.edu/nursing/undergra...admission.html
- Jan 8, '12 by RNOrchidFIU is not my first choice because of distance. Miami is a bit far for me
I'm not too worried now that I went on FAU's site and it says they want a 3.0 cum gpa (that's where I'm at now) and my pre req gpa so far is 3.8. I dont have any W's for my pre-reqs and I know they look at that more closely.
You are right about the fight down here in South Florida. Everyone applying to a program is in the same boat with the amount of completion to get in.
Btw leandrito, since you live in South Florida I think you might have heard about this new school called Chamberlain in Miramar. I'm curious about that school and am wondering if you or anyone else knows about their program or goes to that school.
- Jan 8, '12 by leandritoI understand about the distance problem .. anyway i wish the best luck.. but who knows if you get it right lol.. well i dont know about that new school.. seriously i am so afraid of those new school that starts now in some cities.. we dont know if they are accredited or not.. in that case you might check that out.. i live in kendall.. and i work for mdc.. so for me FIU is better .. i am not a huge fan of medical campus.. good luck bella
- Jan 8, '12 by RNOrchidThanks leandrito and good luck to you too
- Jan 9, '12 by leandritoyou r welcome ...