2012-2013 HRSA Nursing Scholarship Application - Page 2Register Today!
- Jan 23, '12 by karamarie91Quote from JeffCDo you think they look into how long you have volunteered for?Hi everyone:
I got the scholarship this past August...Let me know about any questions you have.
GPA: 3.9, 2.5 years of HIV education and prevention volunteer work, etc.
I definitely think they look at GPA...if they didn't, they wouldn't ask. They also, of course, look at one academic and one non-academic reference letter, and three essay questions. If you don't have volunteer work serving the underserved, get some ASAP. Groups I would consider would be any group that is historically underserved: gay and lesbian, African American, Latino, etc. as you will, once you are done with school, be serving in underserved communities where there is a nursing shortage to fulfill your scholarship obligations.
When you write your essay, be sure to mention your commitment to serving the underserved, play up all of your accomplishments in school, extra-curricular activities, etc. You should also ask anyone who writes your reference letters to do the same.
Good luck, everyone! Again, if you have questions, let me know.
- Jan 23, '12 by JeffCI'm not sure if they do or not, to be honest, but it would make a degree of sense if they do. I think, more than anything, they just want to see that you are committed to serving the underserved... Any volunteer experience demonstrating that is going to look better than not having any at all.
- Jan 23, '12 by karamarie91Quote from JeffCthanks!I'm not sure if they do or not, to be honest, but it would make a degree of sense if they do. I think, more than anything, they just want to see that you are committed to serving the underserved... Any volunteer experience demonstrating that is going to look better than not having any at all.
- Feb 1, '12 by nishtariHello all! I plan on applying as well.
- Feb 8, '12 by AniLMTAnybody know when the application opened last year? I keep getting anxious that I've missed the deadline, but I guess it hasn't even opened yet! So frustrating!
Do you think where you're attending school holds any weight? I just got accepted to a #1 BSN/MSN program...
- Feb 8, '12 by JeffCI believe March 1st....
- Mar 4, '12 by bless1014Hi, I am also awaiting the application. I believe my EFC is the same as yours. I truly pray to receive this scholarship to continue my BSN nursing degree. Its nice to have a support team along the way.
- Mar 4, '12 by bless1014Jeff, thanks for your advice .. I would like to volunteer this summer to be a part of the underserved communities. Congrats to you on receiving the scholarship. I pray to be a recipient. I had to come out of school due to financial aid but I am saving more funds now and with the help of the scholarship I hope to return as my grades and GPA were good
- Mar 4, '12 by JeffCGood luck, bless!
- Mar 5, '12 by AniLMTI just wanted to check my interpretation of the guidelines--I'm a direct-entry BSN to MSN student, and it looks as though I'm not eligible because of that. Does anyone know if that's correct? Any past scholarship winners here know the answer?