I'm currently in the middle of my 12 weeks orientation for PICU Transport - had been a PICU nurse almost 4 years (loved it), started Transport a couple months ago. I'm very curious as to the set-up of orientation and training for Transport Nurses in other places, specifically:
- Do you have a single preceptor? What training is required of that preceptor?
- How long is the training? Is it extended if a person does not meet objectives?
- How often do you meet with supervisors or preceptors for formal feedback?
- Do you have an orientation manual or specific curriculum that is used?
- How are training objectives met and what criteria are used to release you from orientation?
That's just a start. I'd be VERY interested in hearing back from people, possibly corresponding with you to get some resources for our program.
I won't lie - I have found the lack of structure and inconsistencies in our program so frustrating that I am seriously considering going back to the floor. I have hated my job for a few weeks now. We do none of the things that I have asked above, and yet they expect everything.
I'll be waiting to hear!!!!!!!
Thanks - J