Pediatric cardiac surgery ICU nurses, anyone?Register Today!
- by natashakin Nov 13, '12I want to know more people with mind-alike to discuss topics, related to patient care.
I have only 3 years experience in that area, with certificate in CHDs. And would like to discuss about those topics as well. I handled post surgical cases mainly.
And currently I join the international children heart foundation ICHF, anyone here join the team for mission trip before?
- 3,344 Views
- Nov 14, '12 by umcRNI have not done any ICHF trips yet but know a few people who have done them. They love them and tend to go back for more. I hope to do one someday.
- Nov 14, '12 by janfrnI know at least a dozen people who have done missions with ICHF. One of my friends is in Ukraine on one right now (her first) and another has just gotten back from the Dominican Republic (his second). Two others will be going to Libya in a week or so. Yet another is a clinical educator with the program. It's a very intense and hectic experience with great learning opportunities. I would love to go almost anywhere with them but don't think I can make it work for me for a number of reasons. But where there's life there's hope...
- Nov 27, '12 by harryalexxI also work in a cardiac PICU, and know 10-15 people (MDs and RNs) who've all done work with ICHF or other organizations. Some hospitals even sponsor the trips. It's a cool experience from what they've said because the cases are all rather..."salvagable". In short, good outcomes for the week with a lot of rewarding family-patient time. Very hectic, and you better know what you're doing. You are stripped of all the fancy tools at home. Basic assessment becomes aboslutely essential, as well as getting by with limited equipment.
I've done several relief trips with non-cardiac peds +/- PICU patients. Similar thing, except a difficult because you don't know the diagnosis getting a patient, and diagnostic tests we are so reliant upon are a rare thing. I would strongly encourage anyone to experience this. It makes your realize how much you know, and will also improve your nursing as a whole.
- Apr 17 by Janey496I'm a pedi cardiac ICU nurse. My hospital works with the gift of life programs to bring in children from (mostly) Haiti and Belize for cardiac surgeries, and our surgeons also make trips there and to Jamaica for missions. I haven't had the opportunity to go with them, but I hope to in the future!