Seeking Peds ER positionRegister Today!
- by MachoNurse Oct 24, '11Greetings,
I've finally made the decision to leave the Bay Area in order to pursue my dream of becoming a pediatric ER nurse. I have one year's experience in pediatric med/surg, and six months of short-term pediatric clinical assignments.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any children's hospitals that would hire someone with my experience. I would love to get a new grad position, but know I may be "over-qualified" for that. Any details you can provide about the hospital, the ED, your personal experience there would be most appreciated!
And if you're an ED manager, even better ;-)
Thanks in advance!
- Feb 14, '12 by danceluverdid you ever find a job in peds ER? How did the job search go?
- Feb 15, '12 by MachoNurseQuote from danceluverThanks for asking, Danceluver. I found a great job in the ED at Children's National Medical Center in DC. I landed a position in their Fellowship program, which is giving me a 14-week orientation with eight weeks of didactics. This is twice as much training as I received at my first two nursing jobs combined. It's about time! I'm finally feeling supported by my manager, and just in time. I was getting to throw in the towel on nursing.did you ever find a job in peds ER? How did the job search go?
Having survived two experiences of "nurses eat their young," I am committed to being a great preceptor and clinical instructor in the future.
How are things going for you?
- Feb 15, '12 by danceluver@ El Macho
Thanks for writing back. Its so inspiring that you got such a job! As for me, i'm just beginning my nursing journey and hope when I graduate i will be able to work in a Peds ER right off the bat.
Do you have any suggestions for me when looking for that peds ER job? Is it best to go the residency/fellowship route like you did as a new grad so I can get my foot in the door? Or pursue another field and get experience first?
I think i'd love that type of orientation, guidance and instruction before starting such an amazing job! What are some of the daily tasks you perform at your job? I am hoping to follow up with a masters and possibly continue to work in the ER as an NP possibly.
I agree, I hope in the future as well to become an educator, so I hope I have positive experiences myself in the future
- Jul 17, '12 by RN_TCHi, I came across this thread and wanted to ask a few questions. I am interested in getting into peds and particularly interested in the peds ER at CNMC? What has your experience been like at CNMC? Are they hiring? What is a typical day like (if that exists)? I wouldn't qualify for new grad positions as I have almost three years of nursing experience, so I am wondering what would the orientation be like for a nurse like me? I have trauma, infectious disease and community health experience, but no ER or peds experience. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
- Jul 19, '12 by jazzyrn2013Hello there friends. I am a pediatric nurse with 4 years experience, I have completed a 22 week peds residency program and have relocated to Miami, FL. I have been desperatly trying to find a job with NO luck. Any suggestions????
- Jul 30, '12 by ZooMommyRNI relocated to MI for a position in the new Peds ER at U of M and couldn't be happier, I also have friends that did the Opposite and moved to FL to work at Arnold Palmer, how far are you willing to go? I ended up with a 9$ hr raise and cheaper cost of living, even with an hour commute.