I'm a PCA/CNA (my hospital uses the terms PCA and CNA interchangeably) and I'm planning on going to school. Problem is I don't know if it should be for LVN and then do LVN to RN or if I should go straight for RN. At work, some of the nurses I have asked say do LVN and then LVN to RN to get a really good understanding of what nurses do and to gain experience, etc. Some other nurses say just do RN and get it over with.
Any advice? Anyone in a similar position?
RN for sure. Some LVN's in my area cant even find jobs so they're PCT's like me. I am also in nursing school for my RN and why make things longer than they need to be? You're already a PCA thats more than enough to get an idea of the nursing world. Once you're in RN nursing school you will see why it would have been a waste of time to have done an LVN route if you have the opportunity to do an RN program.
I agree with centercourt, unless there is a need to start sooner for a pressing financial or family-related need.
For the most part, Nursing programs
are designed to teach from the ground up, so to speak. There may be a certain comfort level for students already in a healthcare related job initially, but the time invested won't give you an equal return in your RN program. I've noticed a trend of programs requiring a CNA certificate upon admission--that won't be an issue in your case
All the best to you in nursing school!
Thank you both! Yes, there is a pressing financial need, and unfortunately here in the Bay Area full schools, which make RN pre-reqs an almost 3-4 year time frame, especially the sciences; they are so hard to get in to around here. I was thinking of doing LVN because Intro to A&P is all that's required, and then after LVN, doing the sciences with ISP (Integrated Science Program) which is a month long, weekend only school that Holy Names University happens to offer. I wouldn't have to worry about a job because the hospital I currently work at has already written a letter of intent to hire me as an LVN should I decide to go that route.
Still debating between the 2. Thanks for the advice! I do definitely want to go the RN route and be done, but it seems to not look feasible right now. I guess where there's a will, there's a way. I'll figure something out!
Must Read Topics