New grad starting in OR...shoe help!Register Today!
- by deseretm Sep 21Hi all! I graduated August 2012 and became licensed in my state in February. I am finally starting my dream job as part of an intense but wonderful clinical entry position. What type of shoes do you OR nurses recommend? Any other tips? Things I can read to help me get ahead/learn even more about our (yay!) field? Thank you!
- Sep 22 by ArgoI wear clogs scrubbing long cases. I used comfortable cross trainer type shoes for everything else.
- Sep 23 by msancheezeI rotate between Dansko clogs and high quality running shoes. I spare no expense when it comes to shoes. Also, I'm young-ish, healthy, and fit, but I don't go a day without compression stockings. They make of world of difference at the end of the day as far as hurting feet and swollen ankles. Time will tell how well they ward off spider veins. The wise sages I work with have told me "I really should have stated wearing those years ago..." I have noticed it varies per hospital whether its the norm to wear them or not.
Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery, Goldman's Pocket Guide to the Operating Room, AORN, and of course allnurses.com are excellent resources amongst others.
Congrats on your dream job and welcome to OR nursing!
- Sep 23 by OR-RN<3Hey there! I agree with the books above, they really helped me learn about the cases. I have narrow feet so danskos and Sanitas don't fit my feet well. I find a lot of trainer shoes leave my feet sore at the end of the day. Hence, I've tried many different shoes and I found that Merrell clogs work the best for me! Of course I recently got orthotics to help my feet but I love them! Good luck with ur new job! I just finished my year long OR training program (my first RN job) about a year ago :-)
- Sep 27 by Ilovethe80sQuote from deseretmI wear danskos all day, every day. Love em.Hi all! I graduated August 2012 and became licensed in my state in February. I am finally starting my dream job as part of an intense but wonderful clinical entry position. What type of shoes do you OR nurses recommend? Any other tips? Things I can read to help me get ahead/learn even more about our (yay!) field? Thank you!
- Sep 28 by canesdukegirlIf my house was burning, I would save my Danskos first.
When I first started in nursing, I wore running shoes. Big mistake. My feet were absolutely throbbing at the end of the day. I changed to Danskos once I saved enough money, and now that's ALL I wear. Dansko clogs, Dansko boots, sandals, dress shoes. There really is no comparison.
Some people report that Danskos will "turn their ankle", and in fact, a good friend of mine suffered a distal tibial fx when she stepped off the curb to cross the street, and her ankle went sideways. I haven't experienced this. When I was deployed at Katrina, I played soccer in my Danskos!
- Oct 5 by heartloverI tried a number of different shoe styles and brands. I hated Danskos for whatever reason but fell in LOVE with C&C Sweden. They are backless clogs that are similar to Danskos with less break-in time in my opinion. Bad thing is you can only order them online. Good thing is the sizing is the same as Danskos and they are around $100 similar to Danskos. I struggled trying to find the right shoes for me until I found C&C Sweden clogs. Good luck!