What specialty did you choose for Practicum?Register Today!
- by Amistad Sep 3, '12Hi there! I am a nursing student going into my senior year. The time is coming to choose a specialty for practicum next semester... and I just have no idea what to choose! I have had 2 med-surg clinicals, a labor and delivery/postpartum clinical, a community health clinical in a public health clinic in South America, and an internship in the emergency department over the summer. This semester I'll be doing peds on a hem-onc unit and psych on a bilingual unit...
My main problem is that I thoroughly enjoyed all of my clinicals, so it's pretty hard for me to narrow it down. I liked the times in med-surg when I was able to have some continuity with the care of a patient over a span of several weeks. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the diverse, unpredictable, high pressure environment of the ED... I liked working with kids in community health, but I felt sort of awkward since I have had little experience with that population...
What practicum did you choose, how did you choose it, and were you satisfied with your experience?? I just can't decide... Help!
- 847 Views
- Sep 3, '12 by turnforthenurseRNI wanted ICU but I got placed on a cardiac stepdown that also had a 4-bed VICU (vascular ICU) in it. Although I was bummed that it wasn't the full-blown ICU, I really enjoyed my time on the stepdown unit and I learned a lot. And I just so happened to end up on a cardiac stepdown floor after graduation.
I say do something that you are most interested in because that may help in finding a job in the future. Say you applied for an ER job and the potential employer saw that you did your practicum in the ER. They may be more willing to hire you. Good luck with your decision!
- Sep 3, '12 by BostonFNPIf you don't have a hankering for a speciality, precepting on a M/S unit will give you the best chance for a job when you graduate, as well as the NCLEX!
- Sep 3, '12 by Racer15I picked ED, L&D, and ICU. I find out in about a month what I get.
- Sep 4, '12 by AmistadThank you for your responses! I thought about doing M/S but ended up choosing ED or Trauma ICU... I think either of those would be a challenge and I would learn a lot. We'll see if I get either of those! Racer15 I hope you enjoy your practicum!