"ppe for expanded precautions
• expanded precautions include:
– contact precautions
– droplet precautions
– airborne infection isolation
in some instances, healthcare personnel are required to wear ppe in addition to that recommended for standard precautions. the three expanded precaution categories (formerly called transmission-based precautions) where this applies are contact and droplet precautions and airborne infection isolation.
use of ppe for expanded precautions
• contact precautions – gown and gloves for contact with patient or environment of care (e.g., medical equipment, environmental surfaces)
• in some instances these are required for entering patient’s environment
• droplet precautions – surgical masks within 3 feet of patient
• airborne infection isolation – particulate respirator*
*negative pressure isolation room also required
contact precautions requires gloves and gown for contact with the patient and/or the environment of care; in some instances, use of this ppe is recommended for even entering the patient’s environment. droplet precautions requires the use of a surgical mask, and airborne infection isolation requires that only a respirator be worn.
source: cdc. guidance for the selection and use of personal protective equipment (ppe) in healthcare settings"
i stand corrected. ::[color=#ee82ee]blushing::