Hi! So in a little bit, I have to do this Simulation Lab, where I basically perform a focused assessment on the patient (which is a mannequin) and administer meds to it.
I have a simulation Physician's Orders which I'm supposed to follow, but sadly I'm not too sure how to follow it all.
Could y'all tell me if I'm on the right track?
The Physician's Orders reads...
"Admit to floor: Dx: ORIF (L) Hip 1 day ago
Secondary Dx: Systolic HTN; COPD; Anemia; GERD; OA; Cardiac Dysrhythmia; HemiArthroplasty Left Hip (2006)
Diet: Regular as tolerated. Ensure Supplements BID
Vital Signs every 8 hours
RT Nebulizer treatments QID with Atrovent 0.5 mg
NWB lower left extremity
SCDs with knee high TEDs
OOB with close supervision/assist
PT/OT: Eval and Treat"
And right underneath it lists all the meds
So basically, here's my game plan thus far...
1) I was gonna wash my hands
2) I was gonna go in and say, "Hi, Mrs. Johns! My name's Samian and I'm gonna be your nurse today!"
3) I'm going to grab their wrist band and ask them to say their name and then their date of birth to verify
4) I'm going to ask them about their allergies
5) I'd ask them if they'd slept well and how they'd rate their pain level at the moment
6) I'd find out if they were oriented to time, location and situation by asking them
7) I'd take their Vital Signs
8) I'd do the focused physical assessment (i.e., PERRLA, then lung sounds, then heart sounds, then bowel sounds, then radial pulses, then pedal pulses)
9) I'd administer meds
What am I supposed to do about the "SCDs with knee high TEDs"?
Should I just take the TEDs off for an hour on the mannequin, since I'm supposed to have them off for an hour?
What else am I supposed to do?