I am currently a pre-nursing student taking a couple of preliminary classes before beginning nursing school this fall. One of the classes I'm currently taking deals with the history and issues that nurses have faced as well as ethical, legal, and other contemporary issues. One of the things we were asked is to interview current Registered Nurses or Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners in order to learn from their experiences and get a better sense of what nursing is all about.
Below is a list of questions I hope to get your input on. It's 20 questions so it's a bit long; but know your answers will help not only me, but other nursing students so they'll be greatly appreciated.
Please avoid posting any personally identifiable information and use an alias or nick name instead, such as "Nurse Jane."
1. What is your gender, age, and ethnicity?
2. How long have you been a nurse?
3. What is your educational preparation in nursing?
4. Do you have any specialty certifications?
5. Do you belong to any professional nursing organizations?
6. What type of setting (e.g., pediatrics, Intensive Care, community health, medical-surgical) do you practice in?
7. What other type of settings have you practiced in?
8. Which setting has been your favorite and why?
9. Why did you become a nurse?
10. What do you believe are the advantages to choosing a career in nursing?
11. What do you believe are the disadvantages to choosing a career in nursing?
12. How has nursing changed since you became a nurse?
13. What are your professional goals for the next five years?
14. What are the most important issues facing the nursing profession right now?
15. Describe an incident in your nursing career that caused you question your decision to become a nurse.
16. Describe an incident in your nursing career that provided you with the most professional and/or personal gratification.
17. What is it nurses do that is different from everyone else?
18. Describe what Nursing means to you and why you decided to pursue a career in Nursing.
19. Describe any personal experiences and/or characteristics which you believe make you a better nurse.
20. How do you see yourself impacting your community and/or the nursing profession?
Thank you! I look forward to hearing your stories.